User Tag List

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone wants to be staff?

Hey Guys,

I own http://saintsrowforums.com/index.php and It's getting a bit bigger now, pretty happy with its progress... anyway, I'm getting to the stage now where I've just added a couple more staff over the last couple of Months... so now we have 4 staff members, Me and Nica (Owners), MadnessX (Forum Admin) and Blood101 (Moderator) I'm very happy with my team but now everyone is asking to be a moderator...

e.g. http://saintsrowforums.com/showthrea...=2244#post2244

What do you think I should do? Just tell them that i aren't looking? Or to try and make them not want it anymore by making them think what is so attractive about being a staff member, what do you guy thinks?

Cheers.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tell them you have no need for new moderators but if they want to be considered in the future to keep being active with good quality posts and being friendly to new members. Hopefully that encourages them to be a good member while putting off their desire to be a mod.

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice stymiee, thats what i've being doing so far, so lets hope it continues to work .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Tell them you have no need for new moderators but if they want to be considered in the future to keep being active with good quality posts and being friendly to new members. Hopefully that encourages them to be a good member while putting off their desire to be a mod.
    Definately agree! I believe this increases activity among those who wish to be Moderators but also lets you see who "deserves" to be given those duties as well.

Always be careful when choosing those people though, I've had my fair share of bad apples and the need for fresh backups

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee's advice is great. In my opinion things usually work out better when the staff members are chosen by the current staff rather than applying or asking to become staff. None of the staff members here at SPF, for example, asked to be staffers. And look how well its worked out. Most staffers are active community members and model citizens.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.