SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: HomeSite

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a trial version of HomeSite 2.5 that came with a copy of HTML For Dummies. After using it for a while now, I absolutely love it and want to order it. When I went to their site they only offer the 4.5 version, which would be fine with me. However it says you need a Pentium Processor for it, which I don't have. WHAT A BUMMER!!

Can anyone suggest something similar to HomeSite that I could try?

Thanks,
    Dolly

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a "notepad" that highlights html text and has other features akin to website creation try cutehtml.com or textpad.com I've never used homesite so I dont know if this is what you're looking for or not.

Chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris! I downloaded the trial version of cutehtml and it seems ok so far One question......is it recommended to also get the cuteFTP or will WS_FTP work just as well? I already have and use WS_FTP.

Thanks again.
    Dolly

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dlee, do you have an AMD or Cyrix processor? Those are essentially Intel clones, so there would be no problem. If you've got an alpha chip...well then...hmm...sell your computer and get an Intel architectured chip!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use CuteHTML and CuteFTP. The are both really good programs. You can use whatever FTP program you want. If you are looking for
    a really good web site maker then try 1st Page 2000. Go to http://www.webattack.com and then go to their freeware section. Do a search and you should find it. It's really cool.

superdubs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by d3v:
    dlee, do you have an AMD or Cyrix processor? Those are essentially Intel clones, so there would be no problem. If you've got an alpha chip...well then...hmm...sell your computer and get an Intel architectured chip!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmmm...I really don't have any idea! I have a Compaq Presario 5222. All I know is that it doesn't say anywhere "Intel inside" like our other one does. (The other one is the kids game computer now) Also, my son loaded a racing game into this one and it wouldn't work, needed Intel to work. So after that we concluded this one does not have a Pentium Processor.

I am FAR from an expert on that part of computers! Really don't have any idea

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by superdubs:
    I use CuteHTML and CuteFTP. The are both really good programs. You can use whatever FTP program you want. If you are looking for
    a really good web site maker then try 1st Page 2000. Go to http://www.webattack.com and then go to their freeware section. Do a search and you should find it. It's really cool.

superdubs
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks superdubs!

I think cutehtml will work. I prefer to hand code, but wanted a few more features than what notepad offers.

Dolly

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Compaq Presarios have a Pentium Class Processor in them.

In order to make sure you can do one of the following:
    1. When you boot up the computer it will flash your Video Bios on the screen, usually accompanied by the yellow and green Energy Star logo. It will do your memory check and flash to a new screen. On the second screen will be rectangle covering approximately have of your screen. In this box it lists what you have installed in the computer. Your Processor should be listed first in the left hand column.
    2. Press Windows Key-Break on your keyboard to bring up the System Control Panel. On the General Tab it will say what kind of Processor you have (at least it should). If it says Pentium, K6, K6-2, K6-3, Cyrix M-2 or something similar you have what you need to run Homesite 4.5.
    3. If that doesn't work and you have Windows 98 installed then you can go to Start-&gt;Programs-&gt;Accessories-&gt;System Tools-&gt;System Information and find out in that program.
    4. Other ways to find out is to run any MS-Office program. Choose About off the Help menu and click in the System Information button.

Unless your system is almost 5 years old though you won't have to worry about it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

I checked where wluke said to and low & behold there it was!

AMD K6 3D Processor. I now know that it means I have, as d3v put it, an Intel clone.

Can't wait to explain this to my 16 year old son who thinks he knows more than me about the inside workings of MY computer!! (actually he does)

Now I am back to wanting HomeSite

Thanks all.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a rule of thumb, if you personally bought your computer, it's a PC, and it was less than $5000, it's an Intel clone. There are few exceptions to this rule.