SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    . shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either my computer is all messed up (very good chance of that) but the home, and end keys don't do anything in Firefox 2...just thought you would like to know.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They work fine in mine so I think it must be your PC. Incidentally, the Page Up and Page down keys also move the page....... you guessed it, up a page and down a page

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see something like going to the top or bottom of a page as coming under the responsibility of a web designer to make accessible. They apply to 100% of webpages, and it is really the web browser/user agent's designer's role to let their users do so. I don't have much experince with mobile devices or screen readers, but I'm sure there are ways that are just as simple as for a normal user to press the home key.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    And if we stopped putting 'Go to top" links in our pages they would quickly learn.
    It's not just a question of whether people know how to use it, it's a question of whether they'd want to as well. Some people like to do everything with a mouse and looking away from the screen to locate a key and then taking their hand off the mouse to hit a key isn't always as easy for them as clicking a link.
    For instance, I'm writing this on a laptop at the moment and all the page navigation keys are jammed up in the top right corner and I often end up hitting the wrong one so I end up using the scrollbar a lot more when using this computer.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably more down to usability than accessibility but even so, people on here have demonstrated that they don't know what a home key is and it just makes it easier if you have a long piece of text to have a back to top link at the end of it.... if you can make something easier then why not?

I wouldn't suggest having it on every page but where a user has obviously had to scroll down along way to read an article then there's no harm having a link at the bottom of it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew about the keys, but I don't use them. I don't even think to use them most of the time - I know what they do if i was asked, but don't use them at all.

As for #top being a reserved word - never heard that one before! 'toTop 'doesn't make much sense either, as it is the element at the top you are labelling, not the link. 'Go to the toTop' doesn't exactly make sense :P

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    removed - somehow came out as a double post... ??

nadia

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider
    As for #top being a reserved word - never heard that one before! 'toTop 'doesn't make much sense either, as it is the element at the top you are labelling, not the link. 'Go to the toTop' doesn't exactly make sense :P
    well, if you are using an anchor link to go from the bottom of the page to the top, #toTop or #backtoTop, whatever makes sense to me :-) as I said, use whatever you like, but 'top' can cause issues - I've seen it posted on many forums over the years.

nadia

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't we add on scroll buttons to our pages too? Some users might not want to use their scroll bars.</sarcasm>

Going to the top of a page is something that applies to every page on the net. Browsers already have features for it, there's no reason to add more to your html.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually eldacar, I find them to be quite handy at times. Especially if I'm looking at a Web page on my cell phone (especially pages that are served as text/html rather than over WAP).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking about meaning amnd confusion, "Home" could mean "Home page" and "End" could mean "Quit the program" to some people. "Top" and "Bottom" might be better. People do navigate in a variety of different ways - some methods make me want to scream - but that's the way people want to work. So, a link to the top of the page caters for the needs of people who want to use them and also for other web browsing technologies. Does anyone use the "Close this window" on their popups?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz
    They work fine in mine so I think it must be your PC. Incidentally, the Page Up and Page down keys also move the page....... you guessed it, up a page and down a page
    Which shows not everyone has a functioning computer... XD

PS. found out why the home and end keys didn't work, was a setting in Firefox:
    Options > Advanced > General > Accessibility > Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages.

Agains shows not everyones computer is setup the same.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.