SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy Back to Top Link not working in Mozilla?

    Hey,
    I have the following link at the bottom of my page, but for some reason it won't work in Mozilla Firefox. It works in all other browsers though. How come?

    <a href="#top">Back to Top</a>

  2. #2
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you have
    HTML Code:
    <a name="top" id="top"></a>
    at the top of the document?

  3. #3
    SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D
    And you have
    HTML Code:
    <a name="top" id="top"></a>
    at the top of the document?
    Yes, NOW I do!
    Thanks. What a rookie mistake...

  4. #4
    . shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    9,013
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or any element with id="top" at the top....
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.


  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you just use the home key..
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

  6. #6
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    I suggest you just use the home key..
    Except when you need to go to another part of the page...

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    I suggest you just use the home key..
    Assuming that all your users know what a home key is and what it's function is for? Telling a user to use something that might not be natural to them is hardly great accessibility or usability.

    For example, I had a client who wanted me to implement a search box without a submit button as he assumed that all his users would be aware that they have to hit enter/return to submit a form.

    Whilst he may use the enter key and I personally use it, it doesn't mean that all users will, and therefore by suggesting that all users will just have to use this key to submit a form is bad practice in my opinion.

    I think as good usability practice you must remember that not all users of your site are experienced users and what might be an easy thing for us to do like (ctrl+c or ctrl+v) might be unheard of to some users and even saying "copy and paste" will result in mystified glazes from some users.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe users only don't know how to use the home key because people keep putting "go to the top" links in their webpages. Its an incredibly basic web browser feature.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    I believe users only don't know how to use the home key because people keep putting "go to the top" links in their webpages. Its an incredibly basic web browser feature.
    And people haven't learnt to climb up walls yet because people keep putting steps in for them.

    If you know how to use the "home" button then great, feel free to use it but why should people make websites that are optimised for a single person? Why not give people the option to do what they want?

    What if someone is looking at your site on a mobile? Where is your "home" button on there? Imagine a blind user is using a screen reader? What if you have a user who only has the use of one arm and generally has their hand on the mouse most of the time?

    Opinions like these are why there is such bad accessibility on so many sites!!

  10. #10
    \m/\m/ karinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Aylmer, QC, Canada
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a home key?!

  11. #11
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    What's a home key?!
    The one I use to get into my house.

  12. #12
    \m/\m/ karinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Aylmer, QC, Canada
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D
    The one I use to get into my house.
    got any more bright replies

  13. #13
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, it's the key between PgUp and Insert on your Windows keyboard.

  14. #14
    \m/\m/ karinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Aylmer, QC, Canada
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_D
    Seriously, it's the key between PgUp and Insert on your Windows keyboard.
    Thanks ... I seriously didn't know you we're talking about the "home" key on the keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz
    However, if you really aren't sure what the home key is then this just goes to illustrate my point... if someone who actually deals with web design doesn't understand it then what chance do other users have? I know for a fact that my Dad wouldn't use or even know what a home key was for.
    Ah ... I didn't know that. Seriously ... I didn't know that clicking the "home" key on the keyboard brought me back "up to top".

    But there you go ... that just proved your point. I've been designing site for 7 years now and I've never heard of it

  15. #15
    SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is indeed. Especially when your page is quite long and you want to save users the trouble of having to scroll all the way back...

  16. #16
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed you were being sarcastic (so hard to tell over the web )

    Without trying to put it too bluntly..... it's the key on your keyboard which says "Home" on it.

    However, if you really aren't sure what the home key is then this just goes to illustrate my point... if someone who actually deals with web design doesn't understand it then what chance do other users have? I know for a fact that my Dad wouldn't use or even know what a home key was for.

  17. #17
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the "End" key will take you to the bottom of the page .

  18. #18
    \m/\m/ karinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Aylmer, QC, Canada
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like a n00b

    Oh well ... learning something new everyday has to be a good thing right

  19. #19
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be surprised how many "tech-savvy" computer users don't know how those two keys work with Web browsers.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    You'd be surprised how many "tech-savvy" computer users don't know how those two keys work with Web browsers.
    And if we stopped putting 'Go to top" links in our pages they would quickly learn.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

  21. #21
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire - UK
    Posts
    2,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    And if we stopped putting 'Go to top" links in our pages they would quickly learn.
    Why do you seem so persistent to make your site harder to use? I'd personally find it much easier when scrolling down a long article using the scrollbar with my mouse to then hit a little button at the side of the scrollbar which says back to top than take my hand off my mouse and use the keyboard.

    Forcing your users to do something that you do is bad and you should open your mind up to the fact that all your users don't use a website like you.

    You also only seemed to answer the last person who posted's question and ignored mine.

    1) How do users on a mobile phone get back to the top?
    2) How do blind users using a screen reader get back to the top?
    3) How does somebody with limited use of only one arm who only just manages to use the web by the use of a mouse get back to the top without having to scroll?

    I'm assuming that you are either just starting out in web design and aren't aware of accessibility issues or you're simply ignorant to the fact that people on the web use it in different ways and giving them more options is usually beneficial to the usability of a site.

    If you want to use the home button fine..... if someone wants to use the "back to top" button on a page then fine..... wouldn't it annoy you if someone disabled the functionality of the "home" key on a page?

  22. #22
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    4,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar
    And if we stopped putting 'Go to top" links in our pages they would quickly learn.
    It's not just a question of whether people know how to use it, it's a question of whether they'd want to as well. Some people like to do everything with a mouse and looking away from the screen to locate a key and then taking their hand off the mouse to hit a key isn't always as easy for them as clicking a link.
    For instance, I'm writing this on a laptop at the moment and all the page navigation keys are jammed up in the top right corner and I often end up hitting the wrong one so I end up using the scrollbar a lot more when using this computer.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML Code:
    <a href="#top" onclick="self.scrollTo(0, 0); return false;">Top</a>

  24. #24
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, maybe not.

  25. #25
    SitePoint Guru Rob_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, the point is that PixelLover fixed his anchor problem and Karinne learnt something new.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •