SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much money has Sitepoint generated you in business?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to $1000

11 47.83%
  • $1000 - $3000

4 17.39%
  • $3000 - $6000

2 8.70%
  • $6000 - $10.000

2 8.70%
  • $10.000 - $25.000

1 4.35%
  • $25.000 +

3 13.04%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much business has Sitepoint generated you?

Just interested... Sitepoint has generated my quite a bit of business over the last few years... All basically through the forums. I'd just be interested to know if others have too... I am sure there are quite a few, but how much?
    Maarten

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About $300 so far. But then again, I tend to be very picky with whom I work with. Especially for tax reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have added None on the poll...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what about advices, which are more valuable, than the business generated itself?

Greetings :-)
    Basia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None, its just a great resource for me

SI

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of people who've contacted me via PM on sitepoint have always wanted things like ecommerce sites for 3, so nothing directly. but some of the advice I've picked up has made me a mint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it is a pretty good amount. Yes I have also had people wanting websites for very cheap. But I have also picked up a customer that has given me monthly business for the last 3 years!
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't come here to solicit work.

I've never had anyone contact me via PM to do work for them, and I've never solicited anyone in that manner either. I'm fairly sure that kind of activity is a violation of SitePoint's rules. At least as far as I understand them, that sort of commercial solicitation is only acceptable in the MarketPlace if that particular MarketPlace forum & thread author say that PM is acceptable.
    <.smarter.web.development.>
    PHP Stuff: Plexus | Chocolate (BDD Framework... coming soon)
    Graphite

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr
    For me it is a pretty good amount. Yes I have also had people wanting websites for very cheap. But I have also picked up a customer that has given me monthly business for the last 3 years!
    I had one person try that. A quick background search of the member in question (read his post log) revealead a shady turn-key site operator that was constantly trying to get something for nothing.

At one time he even asked a professional internet marketer to turn over his entire list of contacts (yes, as in give to him, without compensation). Some of the other things he did was ask how to circumvent existing bans, and how to promote turn-key sites that cater to teenagers (I doubt teens would be interested in cheap knock-off watches).

Needless to say, one PM from me to the staff got that guy banned in a New York minute .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr
    Just interested... Sitepoint has generated my quite a bit of business over the last few years... All basically through the forums. I'd just be interested to know if others have too... I am sure there are quite a few, but how much?
    I've gotten plenty of service inquiries through forums like Sitepoint (though not much in the last year, as I got turned off of forums for a very long while), but like Shadow's found, almost all have been junk contacts - late night IM's that don't make sense, high school kids who want me to work for $5/hour, that sort of thing.

Twice now, I've been contacted by real prospects who somehow stumbled across my postings here, calls that turned into real money. One of them (an avid reader but seldom poster, he knows who he is) turned into a relationship that led to a string of high-end corporate clients in the energy industry, billing well into the thousands. In turn, those client names went on to win me other work with similar companies; I'm currently working to parlay that into a service subniche which should be very profitable in 2007. Today, the energy industry is one of my two or three strongest core markets.

And all that came off one Sitepoint reader and one phone call.

So I'd say it's like anything else - feast or famine. The vast majority of contacts I get through Sitepoint turn out to be laughable nothings, but the very few good ones tend to be golden opportunities. You could probably say much the same about direct mail, cold calling, advertising, or any other method of keeping your name in circulation.
    Last edited by Robert Warren; Oct 26, 2006 at 22:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Warren
    The vast majority of contacts I get through Sitepoint turn out to be laughable nothings, but the very few good ones tend to be golden opportunities. You could probably say much the same about direct mail, cold calling, advertising, or any other method of keeping your name in circulation.
    I feel the same way!
    I do think if you have valuable posts here, it ads credibility for your potential customers...
    Maarten

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint has brought me huge amounts of e-mail list subscribers, a bunch of good contacts, and a handful of clients...
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the start I think I tried Sitepoint as a work generator but have not looked for business here for several years now. Not that it would not be a good place to look for business but because business is taking care of itself in other ways.

I have found Sitepoint to be worth many thousands of dollars in education though. The people here are both knowledgeable and open. That's why I have been hanging out here for over 4 years :-)

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I voted I was only really thinking about the Marketplace but remembered afterwards that I've started a couple of ongoing relationships with local companies that started because people got in contact after reading some of my posts.

Graphic Artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    donno, ive done really well i think over the last 6 months or so on SP,

some from private contacts that seen work on here and then decided to contact me privately. other income from contests.

Ive been lucky though, id say 80% of everyone that contacted me privately goes into repeat client base, while maybe 25% of contest wins gets me a repeat client for at least 1 more job? something around that...
    formally ECDynamics
    portfolio: EvanteStudios - Request a quote

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case none. But I did get traffic and more exposure, so it's OK as it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received a few job offers but the most "business" I've received is from people purchasing my Client Axis script. I've definitely reached a larger target audience for it and received a lot of great feedback / suggestions because of it. Even though I haven't sold millions because of SitePoint, I've met a lot of very helpful people and could not have progressed the script as far as it has without those around. So I'd say it's beneficial.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script