SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to have session information in windows application?

hi,

i am developing windows application where have to maintain logged user information, means he has some privilages where he should be restriced / allowed to some certain areas of application.

how shall i achieve the above functionalities do i have to maintain a session like things or what is the proper way to achive that?

thanks.
    A CODE without a BuG is meaningless!!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please ignore this post, as I'm fairly new to all things .NET

however, I was wondering, as the program would be a windows program, why it would need session variables, as it will be constantly running.

Thinking about it logically, servers need sessions because TCP/IP is connectionless..but I can't see this being a problem with a windows app.

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this, to help my understanding also...sorry for interrupting

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, thedigit, you hit the nail on the head. The program itself can easily maintain session-specific information because, unlike your browser session in a web application, it is stateful by nature.

Priviliges and security are a different issue. The best thing to check out is the PrincipalPermissionAttribute, whcih should get you rolling.