SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Getting Paid for a Database Driven Site

How do you all charge your clients for designing a database web site? Typically I charge a certain amount for each static page, but I am not sure how to charge for a dynamic page.

Thanks,

Richard

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be charging hourly for all things. Generally people who charge by page are considered scam artists.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks aspen. What is your hourly rate?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hourly rates can vary depending on the work done. Database work is generally more than design work.

If you want to find the average hourly rage, use Salary.com to find out how much you'd make if you did it full time, then divide that by 2000 and you'll have a rough hourly wage.

You can also do searches in this forum, the topic of what to charge has been discussed many times.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richlk,

The reason why Aspen is not giving you his hourly rate is that, at least in the United States, that is an illegal trade practice. Competitors are not allowed to collaborate on prices as this is considered price fixing. Just an FYI so you don't get your own self in trouble! There are formulas to determining how much to charge. Figure your expenses, factor in your rent on an hourly basis, your nice healthy salary prorated on an hourly basis, etc and then add a nice 20% on top for profit. This is a rough kind of idea, but it gives you an idea, nonetheless. We are not really allowed to be more specific in our business financial dealings.

Good luck,
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for not getting yourselves in trouble. Thanks for the tips on figuring out what I am worth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for not getting yourselves in trouble. Thanks for the tips on figuring out what I am worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finding that most clients want to pay a fixed cost rather than an hourly rate. Of course, they think this is to their benefit, and it is.
    http://www.echo-consulting.net - Sound Solutions for Online Inspriations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last job I did I quoted a fixed price. That was the biggest mistake I ever made -- my extremely reasonable hourly rate went down to earning less than working in MaccyD's.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you set your bid you are supposed to have figured in both time and material so that you won't be making McDonalds wages .

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always a margin when u are developing software. It is not possible to say "this is a 4 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours and 23 minutes project".
    When u see requirements, customers usually expect an exact estimation (And most of requirements I see are really crap and has to be improved with comminication with customer if customer is patient enough). But it is really not possible especially when customer requirements never gets fixed(it should not have to be fixed, this is why there is change management) and u can not always guess what kind of problems u will face with.
    What I do normally is using my past experiences when giving estimates, if I always finish 5% late that kind of project or with that customer I give him/her estimation which is 5% more than what I think.
    Staying with hourly rate is my preference, even though some customer asks me what is the cost of whole project, I tell him "This is a project which will cost me x amount of hours so cost is y amount of euro".
    IMHO

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sylow, when u learn some basic grammar and some even simpler spelling .. I will be able to take you seriously. Whilst I understand that English may or may not be your first language, is adding 'yo' before 'u' really that difficult?

(Sorry, I just hate seeing 'u' instead of 'you'.)
    Last edited by Bob; Jan 2, 2002 at 19:00.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several of you have made good points...

I agree with Aspen about charging an hourly rate... it is the only way to go... but I also believe you should give an estimate or proposal with an outline of the hours you will spend developing the site or completing the project. If you go over these hours for any reason, you should notfiy your client.

This way your client has a rough estimate of what everything will cost based on the number of hours and your hourly rate... yet if circumstances beyond control arise you aren't locked in to making McDonald's wages because you guaranteed a flat fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm with Pixel26.
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Pixel26
    Sylow, when u learn some basic grammar and some even simpler spelling .. I will be able to take you seriously. Whilst I understand that English may or may not be your first language, is adding 'yo' before 'u' really that difficult?

(Sorry, I just hate seeing 'u' instead of 'you'.)
    Aye. Nothing says "unprofessional, hax0ring 13-year old" like using "u" instead of "you" - proper grammar (and verbal language too) are extremely important when dealing with clients.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks,

It's really not necessary to point out spelling and grammar mistakes by our members in the way that it has been done here. All it does is to serve to humiliate the person. It's also important to remember that not all our members are from predominantly english speaking cultures and english, in some cases, is difficult. To that extent, shorthanding "you" to "u" is acceptable, if not correct. Please remember the golden rule when posting:

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

It's a simple matter of respect and deference to each other and it makes for a much nicer community.

Thanks everyone!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Folks,

It's really not necessary to point out spelling and grammar mistakes by our members in the way that it has been done here. All it does is to serve to humiliate the person. It's also important to remember that not all our members are from predominantly english speaking cultures and english, in some cases, is difficult. To that extent, shorthanding "you" to "u" is acceptable, if not correct. Please remember the golden rule when posting:

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

It's a simple matter of respect and deference to each other and it makes for a much nicer community.

Thanks everyone!

Sketch
    It was definetly not my intention to ridicule anyone, even though it might have come out that way. It was an honest and objective opinion - I really do think that comminication with the client needs high quality, even in such a small area as spelling.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you are right about spelling, I should be more carefull.
    In Dutch, when we are talking to people who we dont know or if they are older we use 'u' instead of you. It shows respect and formality. And I see that first language of most people here is english so people dont get confused as we foreigner gets confused.
    Also I am proud that I learned(???) English in 1 year when I was 19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes...if u charge by hourly basis, it'll answer most of your questions.
    however, i noticed that websites with DBs tend to be much higher than regular ones. probably it's the extra effort spent on creating them.
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sylow,

Congratulations on picking up one of the world's most difficult languages in just one year's time. English has so many nuances that it is amazing that you picked it up that fast.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketch, okay. Sorry if I offended anyone but I was just kidding with Sylow, I don't mind if he uses 'u' instead of 'you' or 'd' instead of 'the'. I was just kidding around with him, I thought I made this clear with the smilies but if it came off the wrong way or anything; I am sorry.

Sylow, congratulations on learning English in a year. I have been working on it for 14 years and I am still a little sketchy here and there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was, in general, addressing the issue because it was becoming excessive, I felt. I'm sure no one meant any harm and things just got carried away. I'm just asking everyone to be careful how things are worded and what things are said. Remember, we don't have the benefit of having "body language" to interpret messages.

Have a good day, ya'll. ( <---see! Improper grammar! )

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I getcha Sketch. It's all good though, I am sure there will be no long term effects on sylows' self esteem. We'll be more careful next time though.