SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing GFX Cards

OK I was running a card with a NVidia GeForce 2 MX chip (32Mb) and yesterday was given what XP told me was a Nvidia RIVA TNT card, which I have installed without a hitch.

Now my Monitor is poor at best, and I cannot see a difference in the two cards, in terms of normal operation and when playing games.

The new card is OE equipment but "looks" better in quality physically than the Geforce. I dont know how much memory it has so am looking for a few views on which is the best bearing in fact that I dont know how much memory the TNT card has.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit:

I know that the Geforce line is newer, but my geforce is at the bottom end of the product range.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it you're asking which one to keep? If so, go with the GeForce II MX. The TNT was around even before the GeForce I. TNT cards commonly have 16 or 32MB RAM, but as I say, the GeForce II MX is better - later technology.

You'll probably find that if you ramp up the resolution, the GeForce MX will come out on top, however, it cannot go anywhere near as high as a full blown GeForce II because of its single rate RAM.

That said, if they both work fine, use whichever does what it's supposed the best for you.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomatoe is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my Geforce card is out of Warranty now, and the two power wires than run from the fan to the board have come loose and cant be connected or soldered back on. That said the RIVA card doesnt have a fan at all, but if the Geforce came with a fan, I only want to run it with a working fan, so ill leave the RIVA card in there for now til I can get the Geforce fixed.

Never hurts to have a spare eh!

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quickie question, on AGP cards, what is that little peg thing, that doesnt appear to go anywhere.

Its on the RIVA Card, but not on the GF 2 card.

Check this pic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you mean the little l-shaped piece on the bottom right? some agp ports have a locking mechanism, it is for that i believe. as i recall, my tnt card had much better 2d quality than my geforce does, but the geforce totally kicks it in 3d.
    אין סוף

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by russbellon
    you mean the little l-shaped piece on the bottom right? some agp ports have a locking mechanism, it is for that i believe. as i recall, my tnt card had much better 2d quality than my geforce does, but the geforce totally kicks it in 3d.
    Thanks Russ.

Im not really a gamer so i guess the TNT would be better for graphics work and the like?

I hope to get back into 3D stuff with Max soon, but its good to have the options.

Thanks