User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directory within Directory within Directory

The bosses where I work are INSISTING that I have directories within directories for the new Dreamweaver website I am designing. It's a High School I am working for, so they are a bit anal about these things. Some of these directories go four deep!

From the tutorials I have taken, they say deep directories are not good. What do you think? Should we stay away from directories that go too deep?

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell them that from a developer point of view, these sort of structures will only make things harder and more time-consuming to work with. I really see no benefit of this approach, certainly not in days when nice URLs are so easily to accomplished with rewrite engines.
    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directories are good for organisation. One site I developed has various products which are classified according to type, model number, manufacturer's name etc and so a page displaying a product will be in a series of directories like /type/sub_type/manufacturer/model_number.

Directories are also highlighted, so I guess indexed (someone tell me if I'm wrong), by search engines.

The main thing is that everyting is organised.