SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: .NET Beta 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.NET Beta 3

I would like to know a couple of things about .NET. Can I download and install it on my XP system? What do I need, what do I have to do?

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know that .NET Beta 3 was out yet? when did it come out?

All you'll need is at least 1GB Hard disk space... if you're goning to install everyhting.. and could be more. and at least 2 Hrs or more depending on the speed of you computer and memory of your time along with all the CDs or download you'll need.

On XP I think it'll be safe to do.... since you'll not need the windows component upgrades...

I've a 933Mhz processor and it took me 2 hrs to install beta 2.

Good Luck.
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 hours!! I've got a AMD k6-2 450mhz with 400meg and it took me 5mins to install!!

As for beta3! I never knew it was released yet, and I haven't been e-mailed about it!

If you have a link to it, please could you post it. As for installing it on winXP, I don't have a clue. If it has some kind of IIS, I don't think there would be a problem, tho don't take my word for it.

Are you ready for BSD? Marshall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen .NET beta 3 versions of Microsoft's enterprise servers but nothing about a .NET beta 3 version of the programming tools yet.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.asp.net is still only showing Beta 2 of the SDK - I was under the impression the next release would be final (or RC1 at least).

As for taking 2 hours to install - was that for the SDK, or for Visual Studio.NET? VS.NET took f**king ages on my machine (1.2GHz Athlon), well over an hour. The SDK took only a few minutes though.
    Nick Wilson [ - email - ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RC1 is available

Release Candidate 1 of the .NET Framework and Visual Studio.NET has been available for a while now. You need to be a MSDN Universal subscriber (which costs a ton per year), or you can pay Microsoft $10.95 or $12.95, depending on where in the world you are, to ship it to you.

If you're in the US or Canada, go here:

DVD Order, US & Canada

Or, for the rest of the world:

DVD Order, rest of world

The reason you can't download it, is that it's only available on DVD. It's around 2.3GigaBytes of installation files, methinks.

Good luck
    Last edited by pedershk; Dec 21, 2001 at 04:11.
    **Henning K. Pedersen**
    Forbrukerkraft Norway A/S

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that RC1 is out (as mentioned above), and the final release is expected in around June, 2002.
    Get ConMan and run your own web site!

Want free programming eBooks? http://www.devarticles.com/ebooks.php

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The .NET Framework SDK can be downloaded for free from msdn.microsoft.com, and takes nowhere near 1 GB of disk space to install. The SDK is all you need to begin .NET development.

Visual Studio .NET is a development environment for .NET that Microsoft is developing, which is available in Release Candidate form for MSDN Universal subscribers, but may also be ordered from msdn.microsoft.com.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by kyank
    The .NET Framework SDK can be downloaded for free from msdn.microsoft.com, and takes nowhere near 1 GB of disk space to install. The SDK is all you need to begin .NET development.

Visual Studio .NET is a development environment for .NET that Microsoft is developing, which is available in Release Candidate form for MSDN Universal subscribers, but may also be ordered from msdn.microsoft.com.
    Can I assume that the SDK is what will required to develop and run apps in .NET provided you have a Windows machine and it will remain free? Is it only the Studio and similar tools that cost money similar to Java development?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, that's right. you can get the .net framework and compilers for free as a download. you CAN create complete GUI apps in notepad, but it's way easier to use VS.NET for traditional WinForm based apps, etc...

You can order the DVD from http://msdn.microsoft.com/net and you just pay around $12USD for shipping..i just ordered release candidate 1...it'll be here in 4 days (im in Sydney, Australia)... i cant wait :0
    Get ConMan and run your own web site!

Want free programming eBooks? http://www.devarticles.com/ebooks.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing out the release candidtate, I bought mine today.

I wish the release candidate didn't contain a time bomb. I can expect that the official release of VS.NET will cost a pretty penny.

The SDK is easy to install. Very easy. I don't know what this talk of 2 hours or 1gig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont exactly remember where I read about it. But VS.NET will launch on February 13th.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visual Studio is what requires ~1GB to install, and the install of Beta 2 on my speedy box takes about as long as a Windows install!

Be aware that Microsoft has said that the Release Candidate contains only minor fixes over Beta 2. They have said that they don't even recommend users of Beta 2 bother upgrading to the RC.

I got a copy of Visual Studio.NET Beta 2 for free off the cover of the MSDN magazine that I picked up from a news stand nearby when I heard what the cover CD was going to be.

VS.NET will indeed be available for download for MSDN subscribers in the very near future. Boxed copies will apparently not be available on store shelves until later this year, however.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference