SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site dedicated to webmasters interacting with eachother, a community of web developers.

A forum with many different topics, like bartering skills and website reviews. A java chat room that you chat on using the user id and pass from the forums, remotely hosted scripts to add interactivity to their own sites maybe (like adding a refer script or a mail the webmaster script)?

Comments/Suggestions - Is this a good idea?

------------------
    Dan Grossman
    webmaster@websitegoodies.com
    http://www.websitegoodies.com

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think it is a very good idea but you have really been beaten to it by http://www.webmaster-forums.com but I think if you include the java Chat room and remotly hosted scripts it could be a success. Please make sure the java chat you use is a good one as I have been very frustrated in te past by some free ones.

Fletch

[This message has been edited by adamfletch (edited May 26, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goodies,

It's hard to say...the thing about web communities (as many people can likely tell you), is that they're major pain in the butt to jump-start, and not terribly easy to maintain either. I'm sure we've all seen websites with little traffic and a forum with no more than 4 posts listed, at least half of which are accounted for by the webmaster of the site.

The reason these forums have done so well is that they brought people in with their content, and then got them to interact here on the Forums...if you started a site with only webmaster forums, it might be tricky to really get people to come...all your work would have to be in promotion for the most part...unless you decided to add serious amounts of content.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I might do...

I am starting to build a message board (a free one I might add, yet just about as powerful as UBB - BoardPower) with my existing site. I am definitely starting a site or two towards the end of June when school's out and I have time (and money) - so I can have all 2 or 3 use the same forum so it gets some userbase. Then I have two AWESOME domains for a board like this, if just one of them is still open in July I'll take it (or else i'll find another...).

The Java Chat i planned is included with BoardPower, can be linked separately, it seems to be pretty fast at loading and connects to a major IRC server which means it's rarely unavailable.

------------------
    Dan Grossman
    webmaster@websitegoodies.com
    http://www.websitegoodies.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, get the domains you are talking about immediately. You won't be able to live with yourself if one of the great domains you had your paws on was taken.

A community site that was jumpstarted in about Feb. is http://extremeforums.com/ . That site didn't have any content on its site, just the UBB. It's doing fairly well bit forums benefit from an already established site like this network and its forums.

------------------
    Quinn Slack (d3v) - Web Programmer
    Aspology.com - the study of active server pages