User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Framset like design

Hello,
    I read that frames are not supported in xHTML?!?

I need to implement interface where people can change size of particular "panes" or collapse them. This would be easily accomplished with resizable frames , but how to do it in standards compliant and search engine / user friendly manner?

Can someone recommend good article or other resource to start with?

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want people to be able to resize them then you will have to use frames and use the frameset XHTML doctype:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
    Or you can simply use an HTML doctype: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp

Frames are still nasty, though, and if you really want to steer clear of them and have the functionality you describe, you will have to resort to javascript. The javascript for resizing something like a div would be a bit heavy and messy in my opinion, but that's the only other solution. Here is an example: http://cross-browser.com/x/examples/drag1.php

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames are supported in XHTML, using the XHTML 1.0 Frameset DTD for the frameset page and the XHTML 1.0 Transitional DTD for the interior pages.

They are not supported in XHTML 1.0 Strict or HTML 4.01 Strict, of course.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames might be nasty but they provide functionality that could not be achieved by other means.

What did people, who ditched it from standards, have in mind for replacing them?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Server-side includes and server-side scripting languages.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Tommy has mentioned, server side includes are the easiest way of including a single page within a page without having to resort to frames

Frames have horrible accessibility problems with bookmarking pages, using the backbutton and refreshing a page to name just a few whereas the only benefit you've got of using frames over CSS is that you can resize the frames on a page.

To be honest though, if you design a usable site then there shouldn't really be a need for a user to resize sections of the page. If you absolutely need to though then frames would be the best way as you could probably argue that using JavaScipt/DHTML to achieve anything similar would be even more inaccessible.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I seem to recall in the dim and distant past that you can resize and move DIV's around if you play with the z-index and some javascript. I might be wrong but I do remember it ....
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    I seem to recall in the dim and distant past that you can resize and move DIV's around if you play with the z-index and some javascript. I might be wrong but I do remember it ....
    Yeah you probably could (see my previous post) but then you'd be forgetting all those users that don't have JavaScript which would mean your site would probably be less accessible than just using frames.