SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I was on http://www.whatisthematrix.com and saw that their main interface uses horizontal scrolling instead of the usual vertical. I am just starting a web design company and would like to know your opinions on using this type of navigation system.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I absalutly detest sites that use horozontal scrolling and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me when I say it is very bad design in most cases.

There are always some excpetions to every rule and I think this site may be one. As long as you use only horozontal scrolling and not both it is sometimes okay. But I would mainly stick with vertical scrolling.

Fletch

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An estimated 2 billion Cell Phones will have Internet Capabilities within the next 5 years. Currently there are 1 million+ WebTV users. 1 Million plus PSX2 users, several million Dreamcast users. All could be accessing your site. None have horizontal scrolling or very limited scrolling capabilities.

Personally I don't care how well financed a web page is, if I have to scroll more than one region or horizontally then I will immediately leave the site never to return.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Survey says: People hate horizontal scrolling.

And by the way I just went to that matrix site and there was no horizontal scrolling for me so maybe its just that you got a small desktop.

Chris
    -Horizontal scrolling should be an accident, not a design.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aspen: It took me a while to find where there was horozontal scrolling too but you had to go deep into the site to find it. Some of it though I found to be quite cool like a story board that horozntal scrolled. I think that has been the only horozontal scrolling that I have ever liked.

Fletch

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't put the exact URL. I agree that all of the people with WebTV and internet cell phones and stuff could not use it. I guess it would really depend on the site....a business site is different then a children's game site. Anyway...I think I'll stick to vertical scrolling.