SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Should I MarkUP this page?

There are three pages I'm trying to markup. I'm trying to understand what is the correct way of doing it.

Markup1 image:

1) The opening statement Frankin Primary Health Center, Inc will have the <h1> tag. I will also use <h1> tag for Notice of Privacy Practices.

2) Should I use STRONG for The part that starts, "THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES..." Or should simply use CSS and make the text bold?

3) I know the Address tag is not used for all addresses. Do I HAVE TO USE IT when it is appropriate? I would rather just ignore it.

4) "For More Information, Please,..." and "Our Responsibilities:" I'm using <h2> tags.

5) Of course for the list, i'm using a list.

Markup 2 image:

1) Top heading is <h2>

2) The next heading, "For Treatment." Is it REQUIRED TO BE <h3> since it follows <h2> or can i use <h5> since it is closer to the size that i need?

3) About same heading types, as correctly understood in English, the PERIOD at the end of the heading SHOULD NOT be underlined. Can i place my <h3> or <h5> tag as follows?

Code:
    <h3>For Payment</h3>.
    Notice that the period is placed outside the <h3> tag. The problem is that the period will also not be bold as it appears in the Markup2 page. So the period will not be underlined nor will it be bold. I would rather it not be bold than for it to be underlined. That just looks tacky to me.

4) If i use an <h3> heading for same type headings, would it be wrong to make the <h3> and <p> tags appear inline? I know i can NOT place the <h3> tag inside the <p> tag element so... I guess the only solution is to place it beside the <p> tag element but make it appear inline.

MarkUp 3 image:

1) The date "April 14, 2003" is in bold in the Markup3 page. Should i use STRONG, use CSS, or bold? I assume Strong.

2) The paragraph beneathe "Right to Request Restrictions," starting with a bold "We are not required..." This statement should also be in STRONG right?

Thanks very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having seen the images...
    1. Markup1
      1. I believe:
        HTML Code:
        <div>Franklin Primary Health Center, Inc.</div>
        <h1>Notice of Privacy Practices</h1>
        ...because, surely, "Notice of Privacy Practices" is the document heading?
      2. I'd say STRONG in this case.
      3. It looks like contact information for the page, so ADDRESS is appropriate.
      4. They are headings for the section they introduce and they are both subheadings to the page heading, so H2 it is.
    2. Markup2
      1. "Top heading"? I though the page heading was the top-level heading?
      2. Don't skip heading levels. Heading levels have nothing to do with font size. Set the font size with CSS.

3. HTML Code:
        <h3>For Payment</h3>
        Code:
        h3::after { content:"."; display:inline-block; }
        h3 { text-decoration:underline; }
        Well, works in Opera at least.
      4. However you want it presented doesn't matter. So long as the markup is correct you can change the presentation with CSS to make H3 'display:run-in' or so.
    3. Markup3
      1. Looks like it's "important", so STRONG.
      2. STRONG.
    Simon Pieters

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Simon, you answered most of my questions.

I really need help making my h3 tags inline with the following paragraph. When i make the paragraph inline, i lose my justified formatting. Is there a way to do this? It is on the Markup2 image.

Thanks guys.

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say this is what display:run-in is for, but AFAIK only Opera and Safari support it. I guess you also want some space between the heading and the paragraph, so you'd end up with something like:
    Code:
    h3::after { content:"."; display:inline-block; }
    h3 { text-decoration:underline; display:run-in; margin-right:1em; }
    However, this actually crashes Opera! You could use padding-right:1em on the ::after ruleset instead, though.

But if you want it to work in IE and Mozilla too you probably have to use float:left instead of display:run-in.
    Simon Pieters

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Simon. I'll try the float: left. I thougth about floating it but i felt there should be another easier way. I didn't want to end up rigging things up inappropriately. Just because you can make it do it doesn't mean you should or there isn't a better way. So I'm trying to learn as i go.

Thanks very much!