SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sending Large amounts of email (newsletter)

I wanted to get everyones feel on this subject as I know there are a few different ways to go about this issue.

I have a newsletter that i will be sending out to upwards of 20K email addresses. Is there a better method over the others for sending out this many?

for instance:

#1 Loop through the list one by one via while loop.
    #2 Send in increments of 100
    #3 Create a ListServ of somesort and send one email to that
    #4 Use third party (we would rather not go this route for financial reasons)
    #5 A number of other ways

We host the server on site, so i am trying to make this as efficient as possible. I don't want to bog down the computer too much - however these will be sent in the early morning hours when no one is in the office and very few if any are using the website.

thanks in advance for the input.
    Ras

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First big trick: Don't send the mail from a web application. Send it from a command line application or at worst a windows form app.

In any case, I have done alot of this. The best way to send this stuff is to get a decent email library--the .NET 1.x mail stuff does NOT cut the mustard. I recommend Quiksoft's EasyMail .NET edition. Then it is a matter of getting the data, looping through the results, merging the message and adding a bit of logging for kicks. As for physically sending the message, I would recommend saving files to the Pickup folder on an IIS SMTP server rather than sending via SMTP.

I regularly push upwards of 35k messages through a P3-866 W2k3 box without too much detriment to performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with easyMail do you create the email then call the mail functions, or is this a stand alone prog that handles everything?

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wwb mentions email library. So you will have to create the email then call the email functions from that class library.

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbe man told you the company and the name of the product, why not have a look at it?! http://www.quiksoftcorp.com/emdotnet/

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links always help.

There are two versions. Free version requires you to create the email and send it. Advantage is that it is pure managed code and does not blow up in the strange in interesting ways System.Web.Mail does. Do remember that System.Web.Mail is a wrapper around CDONT and pretty much sucks as bad as CDONT.

The paid version is quite a bit slicker. It even includes merge with dataset functionality. I still tend to write my own merging and sending as I like a bit more logging and error management than the builtin merge has. But I am also masochist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks W. Probably gonna end up going with something like this. The customer support folks seem pretty solid at quicksoft and i have read other things around the web giving props to this package.

dhtml....Once again i appreciate your response. I believe that you really do spur quality discussion. I mean.....your posts are so insightful. Almost profound. From this point on if you have any more suggestions for me.....please keep them to yourself. I probably have already tried your ideas. If you do not want to help your fellow .net folk out constructively, then why even post at all?

by the way "the" is spelled with an "h" not a "b"

Ras

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof, thats a little harsh mate, lol Didn't mean to rub you up the wrong way. When you have to field a load of PMs and posts everything, you do get sick of people simply asking "I want to do this, show me", it gets a little tiring.

But fair 'nuff, I'll keep my suggestings to myself