User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asp.net 2.0 offshore development

Hi,
    I am based in the UK and have a potential asp.net 2.0 web based project to start next year and I was wondering if anyone has experience working with offshore development teams. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask (even correct forum!), if anyone can recommend a company?
    The work is probably too much for me on my own, so thought about getting some extra help!
    This thread is intended to be mostly a discussion on experiences, not solely advertising please!
    Cheers

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with offshore development is it is not worth the cost savings. Main issues being time zone differences resulting in extended response cycles and cultural differences leading to interesting misunderstandings.

Now, when interviewing potential vendors, one question is always "where is your development team?" If they are not in the US, they generally are not going to get the job.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks wwb!
    A colleague of mine mentioned awhile ago that there could be significant cost savings as the company he heard about were charging for the month (6 days per week) around the cost of my billing rate for two days !
    However, as you say the quality of code, ease of working together on the project and potential cultural misunderstandings could mean 2-3 days of work completed in one month and the rest of the time talking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like to out-task big jobs but you can usually break it down quite easily and get other people to do the repetitive, time consuming jobs.

You can make it work, you just need to find some reliable people. And there are some good guys out there, honestly!

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by addstravel
    However, as you say the quality of code, ease of working together on the project and potential cultural misunderstandings could mean 2-3 days of work completed in one month and the rest of the time talking!
    Yeah, keep thinking that ... that's very healthy to your self-esteem
    (those damn monkeys, thinking they can write good code ... screw them)

Just a thought ... the time zone differences between US and Europe is quite big, but there are little differences in time zones between European contries, and you have plenty of options to outsource work in Europe if you live in UK (which you said you are)

Also, talking is very healthy.
    Projects end up dead when there's a failure to communicate.
    Writing the actual code is at most 20 or 30% of all the work you have to do.

But don't let this monkey mentality cloud your crystal clear mind.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outsourcing to eastern europe is alot better option than the standard ones in the US (India/Pakistan/China). Time zone differences to the US East Coast are not too bad, and actually can work out pretty well for testing cycles. And the cultural gulf is not so great. Now, outsourcing to the other really cheap places is putting your life in your hands.