SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt View Post
    What about a link to your site to give the comments relevance.

Dalt
    Here are some of the nicest sites that run phpMyDirectory:

http://www.yellowpai.com
    http://www.janantoon.be
    http://www.portalboricua.com/directorio
    http://www.chicagolanddining.com
    http://www.cityslick.net

Some are still using the old 10.4.x version. The new one has loads of new features but still the software needs a thorough re-write IMHO.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or check this site in about 48 hours (May 5th) for their upcoming templates for version 11.0 of phpMyDirectory:

http://custompmd.com/

I've seen the screenshots and description of a few features, and boy oh boy...

I would also post my site for you to see what's possible with a bit of custom template work, custom html/css/ajax design and integrating a few 3rd party scripts into the PMD... but I am not done with all the features yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually modding phpMyDirectory shouldn't be the base to judge the software. There's are great designs to osCommerce, which is a script that does not provide any template-driven functionality. Presentation elements & code are mixed line by line all over the script. It's good, however, to have a template-based web application, & phpMyDirectory has improved this greatly in the new version. However, the script features, security, performance & overall stability is what should base the judgment of it.

As a side note, coding a site's design using standards & CSS for layout already produces even better approach to template-based functionality, as a user would not need to edit HTML code to change the site's look.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HotLinks SQL from Mrcgiguy, very good for the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairybob View Post
    I'm unable to find one decent looking site using phplinkdirectory. Everyone that uses it seems to go in for these terrible generic link farms that add absolutely no value to anyone or anything !

What is going on? Are the people who do this actually making money? If so, very strange....
    I don't know if you have checked out the new version 3.2 that phplinkdirectory has out but it seems very good. I have been looking at many scripts for about 2 years and this new version seems to deliver quite a lot for only $25

And no I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I tried the first version of their free script a long time ago and did not like it but now have started with version 3.0 and worked with it and upgraded through v3.2 and like it quite well and have started doing mods for it.

The smarty template system is different to get used to but you can make the site look any way you want and I have setup mods now for variable deep links, featured year and month with auto time stamping of expiration dates and more.

Just my thoughts but it seems quite a good script now for the money and they added articles in version 3.2 and supposed to be setting up the option to charge for article submissions.

Esyndicat is also coming along well and seem to have a pretty good product.

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before deciding on a directory script, be aware that google is starting to penalize spam directories..... check out this:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505614

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone here has phpmyDriectory I'd like to know how it's working for them... security, ability to handle a thousands of listings without slowing down and updating it to fix bugs. Do you pay for the updates?

I'd also be anxious to know if any anyone has purchased the edirectory script yet and how it's working for them.

I'm in the market for a business directory script also and trying to make a decision between the two.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Guys,

I know this is a very old thread, but I bought the script off edirectory, it is "okay" but as soe people have mentioned, it is very very expsenive.

I thought it would be great, I use it at www.RuralStar.com

But if you need help through their help service, they charge a fortune, like $200usd just for a simple code change.

If someone has good coding experience, they could do very well and make a fortune helping others with changes.

Something like vbulletin.org members who help people with vbulletin.com members.

I personally would not recommend "wasting your money" on a $1500 script where they charge you a fortune for help!

Cheers

Billy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my vote : phplinkdirectory ..it's really cheap and looks god and useable.. but I think the PhpLD is good as well.
    ---
    www.terkep-szallas-utazas.info
    TÉRKÉP|SZÁLLÁS|UTAZÁS - Helyben van a megoldás

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its to costly especially when you can assemble a joomla site + free modules to do and look exactly the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ! Directory script indeed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHPLD is a good choice, I have used there Free Version in past. And eSyndicat is also a good choice

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, here is the directory script that meet all your needs those were described all over this thread: web 2.0 directory cms at salephpscripts.com

I use it some months and now may say that it is really great one with giant list of features + power support of senior developer Mihail.

Also the new version is comming soon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by propper View Post
    Hi all, here is the directory script that meet all your needs those were described all over this thread: web 2.0 directory cms at salephpscripts.com

I use it some months and now may say that it is really great one with giant list of features + power support of senior developer Mihail.

Also the new version is comming soon.
    Anyone else have any feedback from this source? TIA

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spolack View Post
    Anyone else have any feedback from this source? TIA
    Seems no, at sitepoint forum. But I saw something on others,
    also there is an always active forum on their site

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbankuti View Post
    my vote : phplinkdirectory ..it's really cheap and looks god and useable.. but I think the PhpLD is good as well.
    Thank you. This seems to be an old thread about a "new directory script" that is no longer "new". We just released a new version of phpLD.