User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt
    I am starting to think it will be better if they keep the price high, so that there will very few others in the market place.

Dalt
    That may be true and it's a good point, but I'm just really surprised that they never even replied to my inquiry. I'm in business myself and people are always asking me for a discount or deal, but if I'm doing my job right I will learn what their real needs are and hopefully convince them that it's worth spending a bit more money to do the job right.

I was giving them the opportunity to convince me their product was worth the money, and that they were a good company to do business with. But they ignored me, and that's a very bad first impression.

If anyone else has had a different experience with eDirectory please let me know.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

I responded to the first reply. I will reply to the second pm tonight.

Dalt

Quote Originally Posted by steve257
    Dalt,

Did you get my PM's?

sleepy

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any news from anyone in relation to this script?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairybob
    I'm actually amazed at how many people appear to have purchased www.phplinkdirectory.com ' s crap software. It just shows how many thick people there are out there putting pathetic link farms together that target no one and offer nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for an unlimited licence of that software.
    Hey hairybob...I have been with the phpmydirectory script for the past year and after tryiong other scripts, they have to be hands down to service...granted - there are many junk sites that are link banks or whatever they're called, but the script has little to do with that.

The problem should be pointed on the users of the script? Many hope to purchase the script and all will be in theeir glory, but the truth is the business end is nuch more grulling...they have a new version in beta at the moment but I have the script 10.4.6 at www.Plumbster.com and it's very flexible...(if you're experienced...

Beside I don't think they sell the unlimited version anylonger..

The BIG problem I have with the script is the ioncube that requires there server to be up and running or you don't access the admin section...It hasn't been a problem for some time, and some of the probelms were due to installing the key in the wrong area or not installing the key in the correct directory....

It does more than edirectory, other than I like the looks of the edirectory search section...

The phpmydirectory has gone through some major changes as it now includes a modules directory for mods and to make them easier to implement. But people get too carried away with mods (I was one) and was forced to shut down and start over, the mods I purchased we not compatable with the update of the script. One update being a security update...Now I'm working the beta version for the past 5 months and it should be released this next month or so...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdogs
    Hey hairybob...I have been with the phpmydirectory script for the past year and after tryiong other scripts, they have to be hands down to service...granted - there are many junk sites that are link banks or whatever they're called, but the script has little to do with that.

The problem should be pointed on the users of the script? Many hope to purchase the script and all will be in theeir glory, but the truth is the business end is nuch more grulling...they have a new version in beta at the moment but I have the script 10.4.6 at www.Plumbster.com and it's very flexible...(if you're experienced...

The BIG problem I have with the script is the ioncube that requires there server to be up and running or you don't access the admin section...It hasn't been a problem for some time, and some of the probelms were due to installing the key in the wrong area or not installing the key in the correct directory....

It does more than edirectory, other than I like the looks of the edirectory search section...

The phpmydirectory has gone through some major changes as it now includes a modules directory for mods and to make them easier to implement. But people get too carried away with mods (I was one) and was forced to shut down and start over, the mods I purchased we not compatable with the update of the script. One update being a security update...Now I'm working the beta version for the past 5 months and it should be released this next month or so...
    Ops- I thought I was replying to the phpmydirectory?

SitePoint Enthusiast Simon Gooffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I have just read a lot of questions and suggestions to me personally. Just give our team some time and you will get all those features you are talking about. Additional search is on the TOP of our TODO list
    Directory Software - ultimate tool to build your own directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdogs

They don't sell an unencoded version and you just highlighted the major reason you don't purchase encoded scripts. Just imagine when the market gets over saturated with directory scripts and this developer decides he has enough. It is a scenario that has happened too many times.

Dalt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phpyellow

I also loved the edirectory script but the price is ridiculous.
    I just came across phpyellow and it is not bad at all. However I don't like its urls, not se friendly like edirectory.
    I wish I could have that script from edirectory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edirectory

I don't think any of the other directory script developers are listening. So many aspire to the edirectory style script. Just think how many more sales phpdirectory, etc would get if they decide to bring their product into the 21st century at a reasonable price.

I might even look at doing it myself.

Dalt

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
    I also loved the edirectory script but the price is ridiculous.
    I just came across phpyellow and it is not bad at all. However I don't like its urls, not se friendly like edirectory.
    I wish I could have that script from edirectory

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am willing to pay $300 right now for edirectory with the zip codes modules. the price tag they put on it is more like the price for a custom script !! even the example they are showing which is maryland .com is no longer using it. Anyone who has a copy of edirectory I will buy it from you for $300, any offers?

Any comments on phpyellow?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking at phpyellow last night, and I'm really impressed. It seems to have everything that eDirectory offers and much more. The several different search options are really impressive, and the price seems reasonable.

I'd also be interested in hearing any comments about phpyellow. I notice they offer a free "lite" version, so I'm going to try and install that this week if I have time.

Cheers,

Andrew

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and I just looked at phpyellow as well... not even close to what phpmydirectory.com is putting together

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Serb View Post
    and I just looked at phpyellow as well... not even close to what phpmydirectory.com is putting together
    I'm about to give them (eDirectory) a call first thing tomorrow... (email is too slow)... we'll see how responsive they are then.
    Whatever happened with eDirectory, did you give up on that idea? Did you ever get in touch with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt View Post
    I don't think any of the other directory script developers are listening. So many aspire to the edirectory style script. Just think how many more sales phpdirectory, etc would get if they decide to bring their product into the 21st century at a reasonable price.

I might even look at doing it myself.

Dalt
    This is an interesting post Dalt. We reached a similar D.I.Y conclusion 6 months ago after spending a considerable amount of time sorting through the various scripts on offer, OS and commercial.

For those which were available commercially, we didn't come across any which stood out as having significant 'value added' or 'ground breaking' features.

In fact, all much of a "much-ness" is what we found .. commercial and OS there weren't any with a point of difference which we could identify as having a worthwhile monetary value. Certainly, there were no tableless solutions on offer at the time, but perhaps that's changed.

So we opted for a DIY solution, and because we understood what we expected from the script, it didn't take long nor did it cost much.

For those who develop and are developing directory scripts, (as Dalt suggested) think 21st century - tableless css perhaps possibly even Ajax which we implemented for live editing, and provide SQL dumps incase your installer scripts have issues (phpyellow), which really wasn't worth all the boggle we went through to get it installed.

Also, for those producing commercial scripts - "state that clearly". Don't waste people's time providing downloads that have small print explaining certain "critical" features are only available with the paid version - and some, the features list gets longer and longer the more thats paid, until its discovered the script you originally read about is actually the most expensive commercial option, tactic's like that are just deceptive - almost to the point of being a 'con' which I'm sure wouldn't win any customers.

One we came across was 100% free! which sounded great, except the source code wasn't available. Naturally that point wasn't spelt out in big bold letters, just another piece of bait waiting for someone to realize they'd need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the source and a strict license.

I had to wonder why these tactic's seemed so prolific with directory scripts in particular .. really, if there are so few options and bad ones at that - I'm sure it's just a matter of time someone produces a killer OS script to resolve problems in this area of the web once and for all - it happened with CMS's, so why not directory scripts ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not pay $2,000 for edirectory.com. I'd make my own for under $1,000 so I dont have to be under eDirectory terms of service. The script look good, but is too expensive. You can build your own for less than that. Just see how eDirectory is charging for everything, including setup fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelfind - Build your own! Then show us!!!!!

If it is as good as the edirectory script and you can bring it in for a lot less, there appears to exist a great opportunity for you to sell / licence it and make some real money... But, if it is merely yet another spam link farm script, such as the other scripts mentioned in this thread, these tend to sell for only around $100 per licence. Given the large number of poor quality link farm scripts that do nothing to differentiate themselves from one another, this would be a tough market for a new entrant to make money in.

There are some slick aspects to edirectory's offer that clearly make it stand out from the pack. Unfortunately for me, I just don't have access to that sort of money for my project! But if you can replicate the functionality of edirectory for a lot less, I'll be your first customer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edirectory

WRONG...Maryland.com is using an old version of edirectory. I contacted the owners of maryland.com and they confirmed this. They haven't bothered to upgrade to newer versions as they are happy with the functionality of their existing script. They also confirmed that it works well and gives them no problems.

I will be either purchasing edirectory script in late January as it will be then before I can get onto this job due to my heavy workload. I am still considering developing my own version with some more features added.

Dalt

I am willing to pay $300 right now for edirectory with the zip codes modules. the price tag they put on it is more like the price for a custom script !! even the example they are showing which is maryland .com is no longer using it. Anyone who has a copy of edirectory I will buy it from you for $300, any offers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sours ear

Have you heard the age old adage - 'It is hard to make silk out of a sow's ear' In this particular case, I think the adage applies.

Quote Originally Posted by COH View Post
    I suggest phpmydirectory.com. Templates can be customized to however you want it to look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, whether you like it or not, Dalt is pretty much on the money !!!!!!!

In fact, it seems to me, he's right on the money.......

The edirectory software is beautiful in comparison to the phpmydirectory software. In fact - there is no copetititon!!!!!!

phpmydirectory seems like a lame duck !!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case anyone wants to see it in action, I managed to find these by typing edirectory.com into google....

http://directory.toledo.com/

http://www.gaycharlotte.com/directory.php

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the search should be at the top of EVERYONE's features list... what is the point of a directory/yellow pages script if not "searching" for information... and the easier and more customized you can get that search to the users, the better.
    Exactly!!!! eDirectory has done a nice job of it with regional drill downs and the zip search, something none of the others offer unless you get into the classified scripts like Esvon or Geodesic (both of which are pricey, loaded with features you don't need or want and extremely time consuming to configure as a business directory).

eDirectory also does a better job of addressing the placement of featured and banner advertising then most, which is real important when you are trying to sell a firm on advertising in your directory.

What is really needed is a directory like eDirectory where you can search by city or by zip like you can with Escape Radius

eSyndicat is an excellent link directory but that's about it (good luck selling advertising space in a link farm). It lacks the ability to do a regional search and the templates are not professional looking enough.

Mosets Tree is a solid business directory script that runs well when loaded down, and it's a Joomla component which means you can get a good professional look and feel using any one of the dozens of templates out there. It does not have a payment mod or a picture gallery mod (you can upload one pic for each listing). A zip code search mod is available from a 3rd party for $100.

PHPYellow is just plain butt ugly in my opinion and confusing for both advertisers and users.

The only one above that I have not bought is eDirectory, and I'm reluctant to because there's not much of a community attached to it and the price. Bugs, Security issues, Support and Customization are a lot harder to deal with when no one else is using the damn thing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rallen View Post
    The only one above that I have not bought is eDirectory, and I'm reluctant to because there's not much of a community attached to it and the price. Bugs, Security issues, Support and Customization are a lot harder to deal with when no one else is using the damn thing.
    support and customization is much harder (and expensive) when the only people who know how the goddamn thing runs are the developers themselves, and they will end up charging you standard industry rates for any customizations... meaning, you might end up spending hundreds, if not thousands for some extra features.

I still say that new version of www.phpmydirectory.com (v11) is as close as it gets to eDirectory in terms of features, if not better in some aspects... if they only spent a bit more time on the actual look of it (hiring some designers to come up with a few kick *** front end themes/layouts and such), that product would be sick.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still say that new version of www.phpmydirectory.com (v11) is as close as it gets to eDirectory in terms of features, if not better in some aspects...
    After much research and testing I decided to go with phpmydirectory as well. I've had a few problems, but the support has been awesome and I've been able to customize the look to match the rest of my site. There are also some great add-ons available that really make a good thing even better.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    This is an interesting post Dalt. We reached a similar D.I.Y conclusion 6 months ago after spending a considerable amount of time sorting through the various scripts on offer, OS and commercial.

For those which were available commercially, we didn't come across any which stood out as having significant 'value added' or 'ground breaking' features.

, so why not directory scripts ?
    I am interested in your solution if you want to do business. I can offer good compensation for your efforts.

p.m me or can mail me tarun.post [at] gmail dot com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a link to your site to give the comments relevance.

Dalt

Quote Originally Posted by arossphoto View Post
    After much research and testing I decided to go with phpmydirectory as well. I've had a few problems, but the support has been awesome and I've been able to customize the look to match the rest of my site. There are also some great add-ons available that really make a good thing even better.

Andrew