SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see the ability to search on custom fields. I'd also like to see Yahoo maps and Google Maps integration, and a preloadable list of all US states, cities, and zip codes (for regional directory).
    I guess its time to start a wishlist...hehehehe

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Gooffin
    Greetings,
    Check eSyndiCat 2.0 version and please let us know if there are any things that you would like to see in your directory that miss in eSyndiCat.
    Forgive me if I've missed something, but eSyndicat looks like a link exchange script, while eDirectory is a proper business directory loaded with options for several different types of free and paid listings, etc, etc. It also has the best search features I've seen in a business directory, especially with the "miles from zip code" feature. I've been looking for the same thing for years, but there is absolutely no way I can afford the hefty price tag.

I created my own php/mysql business directory several years ago that is searchable by category, nearest major city, exact city, name, etc. I know nothing about coding, but fumbled my way through it and I'm pretty proud of the results. I honestly think it's better and more practical than most of the commercial business directory products I've seen out there. They all look the exactly same and the search features really suck. What good is a business directory if you can't filter your searches by category and location?

Unfortunately, my system is too much work for me to maintain. There is no automation, and there is no integrated payment system, so I have to manually do everything myself, which is a pain.

I share the original poster's pain, and agree that there is really no decent business directories out there at a reasonable price. I've also been searching for the last couple days for a decent CMS that will work with a business directory, banner ad management, and vBulletin, but there is absolutely nothing available. It's soooo frustrating!

Andrew

SitePoint Enthusiast Simon Gooffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TopWeb
    I would like to see the ability to search on custom fields. I'd also like to see Yahoo maps and Google Maps integration, and a preloadable list of all US states, cities, and zip codes (for regional directory).
    Thanks for your ideas. They will be implemented in our next versions.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but eSyndicat looks like a link exchange script, while eDirectory is a proper business directory loaded with options for several different types of free and paid listings, etc, etc. It also has the best search features I've seen in a business directory, especially with the "miles from zip code" feature. I've been looking for the same thing for years, but there is absolutely no way I can afford the hefty price tag.
    Actually no now eSyndiCat is more directory software than a link exchange script. You have the possibility to create your own fields like dropdown boxes, radio, checkboxes, textareas, etc. For example you want a directory of local businesses. No problem, create additional fields like State, Zip, Address, Phone. You can easily do this yourself in admin panel. And later just ask for additional mod from our company that are quite cheep
    Directory Software - ultimate tool to build your own directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its time me have a directory script shootout....

Lets see if i can come up with something...

By the way, Simon...you do have a very popular script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiviniar

Thanks We are trying to make it even more popular

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiviniar

Uh oh, not another competitor.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually no now eSyndiCat is more directory software than a link exchange script. You have the possibility to create your own fields like dropdown boxes, radio, checkboxes, textareas, etc. For example you want a directory of local businesses. No problem, create additional fields like State, Zip, Address, Phone.
    Thanks for your reply. When I was looking at your demo I didn't see any example of this. It looked like a straight link directory. Can you direct me to a demo that shows how it works as a business directory?

What about custom searches and paid listings? IMHO, these are essential features. You have to be able to make money from something like this, and businesses aren't going to pay if it isn't easy to find their listing. Unless I missed it I didn't see any category or location searches in eSyndiCat, just keywords. No offence, but that's really useless.

As you can tell I'm pretty frustrated with the lack of good options out there. No one seems to have shown any innovation or originality since they ripped off the Yahoo style directory and stopped there.

Andrew

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is one of the most expensive directory scripts I have seen.
    It seems to me there would be more cost effective options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This script appears to be one of the best I have seen (No offense dvduval). However, most directory owners or would be owners I feel would not be interested in investing such a large amount in a directory script.

For something like this, I would gladly pay $100, but currently, it is too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arossphoto
    Thanks for your reply. When I was looking at your demo I didn't see any example of this. It looked like a straight link directory. Can you direct me to a demo that shows how it works as a business directory?
    What about custom searches and paid listings? IMHO, these are essential features. You have to be able to make money from something like this, and businesses aren't going to pay if it isn't easy to find their listing. Unless I missed it I didn't see any category or location searches in eSyndiCat, just keywords. No offence, but that's really useless.
    There is a special area in our admin panel. Manage Listing Fields. There you can create your own listing fields of different types. Now present version does not have any options to search by custom fields but this functionality can be easily implemented. I do not have example of local business directory. Here is just something similar that can show the functionality of our script and how it could be used.
    Templates Shop

This functionality is not 100% ready yet. I'm working on it just few days. Anyway, you can see how useful additional fields could be.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a special area in our admin panel. Manage Listing Fields. There you can create your own listing fields of different types. Now present version does not have any options to search by custom fields but this functionality can be easily implemented.
    The search functions of almost every one of the directory scripts I've seen appears to be their biggest limitation in my opinion. They are really just links directories that have been given a make-over and disguised as a business directory, However, for a "bricks and mortar" business directory I think you have to be able to narrow your searches by location and category, preferrable in stages. For example the way my home-made directory works is I can select one or more categories, and then narrow the search by province, nearest major city, or exact location.

If I'm looking for a business in my home-town or a city I will be visiting I don't want to have to wade through a ton of listings that are not in those locations. I think it's also important to be able to retrieve results for more than one category at a time. I'm a photographer and if I'm doing a shoot in another city I may need listings for rental studios, assistants, caterers, local couriers, etc. With my current directory I can retrieve all relevant listings for any province, nearest major city, or exact city or town.

The way eSyndicat works with a keyword search of the whole directory just isn't practical or useful. But if it can be customized to search the way I want, along with paid listings, automatic email notifications prior to listing expiry, user managed listings, etc, then I am definitely interested.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew,
    So searchable fields is a MUST for you. I think we can make a modification for you and later include it in our next version. So you can search via additional fields. This feature is already in our TODO list and we can just change our todo features order and implement it some earlier specially for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is at the Top of my personal list of most wanted functions to see. I just bought your feature-rich script, Simon, and added many custom fields. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the edirectory link, I never saw that script before. Looks great. Not good price though, but an excellent product.
    Contact us for all your Search Engine Marketing Needs -
    SEO Affordable SEO Packages

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew,
    So searchable fields is a MUST for you. I think we can make a modification for you and later include it in our next version. So you can search via additional fields. This feature is already in our TODO list and we can just change our todo features order and implement it some earlier specially for you
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for the offer. I might be interested, but it would depend on how the search features are setup. For example, I don't want to just search the city field and retrieve every listing for that city. For it to be truly useful I think you need to be able to search multiple fields and progressively narrow your search by geographical area.

This seems to be how edirectory works, and it's also how my current directory works. You can see an example of that here:

http://www.canphoto.net/canphotodirect/index.php

Cheers,

Andrew

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew,
    are you kidding me?

the search should be at the top of EVERYONE's features list... what is the point of a directory/yellow pages script if not "searching" for information... and the easier and more customized you can get that search to the users, the better.

and I can totally see why the eDirectory is priced so high - they put a lot of work into it -> all the ajax features and whatnot.

Simon, if you can get that search box from the left side menu on http://www.demodirectory.com/ implemented in your script, I'd buy it, as soon as you got it working. Now THAT is what a customized and detailed search looks like...

Some more features I would be looking for out of the box would be getting rid of the whole "link directory" feel (meaning, not having the links to other websites in the title of the listing, instead getting rid of those and displaying them in the "detailed info" page to which the title is linked by default... since I'd want all the visitors to stay on my directory site for as long as possible, and once they're gone, well, they're gone!)

Also, adding features like embedded google maps (I could probably do this myself with the script I customized for phpMyDirectory installation I am running), and most importantly - GALLERY!

Add something like an iBox or ThickBox powered Gallery of images for all the listings (controllable by users and admins), phew... then we're talking!

Until then, I'm really thinking about saving some $$ for eDirectory script... anyone wants to split the cost of this script, and buy it as a group?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking at buying the edirectory script with all the mods unencoded. What do you mean share the cost as the licence is for only one site?

The edirectory script is brilliant in its design, presentation and simplicity. To me it is lost between a directory and a portal (Between a rock and a hard place) and it needs some more features to make it truly great.

Ahh well, I am prepared to spend the dollars and make it truly great, but for this price, you have to go with the unencoded version incase they went belly-up and/or stopped developing the script as I am sure the sales wouldn't be brilliant at this price.

Dalt

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post Crazy Serb - You capture my sentiments exactly.

The sooner these link farm directory script owners (for example phplinkdirectory) understand that some users don't want to merely put together a whole bunch of random spam links, the better.

Unfortunately, the severe limitations of the majority of directory scripts - which encorage users to merely put together loads of spam links - has all but ruined the perception of high quality directories in the minds of companies seeking worthwhile listings in relevant directory sites.

It might not be too much longer though - I've heard that google is starting to penalise sites that demonstrate output consistent with that delivered by spam link farm software such as www.phplinkdirectory.com.

We'll see. In the meantime, you're right - companies like www.edirectory.com are certainly raising the bar. This is what a real directory should look like - www.demodirectory.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt
    I am looking at buying the edirectory script with all the mods unencoded. What do you mean share the cost as the licence is for only one site?
    Oh right, I just noticed that... well, we could always pitch in the $$, buy the script, and install it for all our domains on a single server (we'd have to agree whose server, in case one of us has one ready to go, and I do, or pitch in some $$ each month to lease one somewhere)

The edirectory script is brilliant in its design, presentation and simplicity. To me it is lost between a directory and a portal (Between a rock and a hard place) and it needs some more features to make it truly great.

Ahh well, I am prepared to spend the dollars and make it truly great, but for this price, you have to go with the unencoded version incase they went belly-up and/or stopped developing the script as I am sure the sales wouldn't be brilliant at this price.
    and I would be looking for the full unencoded version with all the mods as well, since I will most likely be customizing a few of those features as soon as I get my hands on them...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairybob
    The sooner these link farm directory script owners (for example phplinkdirectory) understand that some users don't want to merely put together a whole bunch of random spam links, the better.
    Thanks for the additional replies supporting my earlier comments. I've been having these discussions on various forums for years now and I was beginning to think that I was the only one who wanted a reasonably priced business directory with some real, user-friendly, search features.

Now if someone would just listen. I also emailed the people at eDirectory to compliment them on a great looking product and to let them know that lots of people would buy their script today if they could reduce the price or develop a more economical version.

They never replied or acknowledged my email in anyway. Has anyone had any correspondence with them at all? Do they seem like the kind of company that would provide support commensurate with the price of the product?

Andrew

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to give them a call first thing tomorrow... (email is too slow)... we'll see how responsive they are then.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew,
    So searchable fields is a MUST for you. I think we can make a modification for you and later include it in our next version.
    Do you have any additional info about this Simon? I'm certainly interested, but I'd need to see how you plan to implement the new search features. As you can tell this is definitely an important feature for other people as well, so I think it should certainly be high on your to do list.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edirectory

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Serb
    I'm about to give them a call first thing tomorrow... (email is too slow)... we'll see how responsive they are then.
    I have been in touch with them and have received several emails. The first email did take a week for a response due to an error on their behalf (so they say). However, the replies have been excellent since.

I did query how good their support would be if they were this slow in their initial response. This question was conveniently ignored. IT guys are good at this, but they don't realise that these concerns just don't disappear, but costs them business in the long run as customers wont buy.

The idea is to get an unencoded version in case there is a problem and the support disappears.

Dalt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edirectory

Quote Originally Posted by arossphoto
    I also emailed the people at eDirectory to compliment them on a great looking product and to let them know that lots of people would buy their script today if they could reduce the price or develop a more economical version. Andrew
    I am starting to think it will be better if they keep the price high, so that there will very few others in the market place.

Dalt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dalt,

Did you get my PM's?

sleepy