SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upgrading my computer... few questions

ok, i want to get faster processor... I'm not very knowledgable with mobos and cpu's so I've decided to purchase a Motherboard Combo from pricewatch.com to save me many pains. Is this a good idea? Do they give you crappy mobos with a fast proccessor?

When I get the processor and mobo, is there anything I need to worry about? All I need to do is unhook everything replace the mobo and processor and then hook everything back in right? Easy as cake?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not so fast

How old is the computer your upgrading?
    You might be up for new RAM, new case and a new powersupply at the same time all of your IDE, AGP and PCI devices *should* work still...

Motherboards can be a pain to install... dont forget the little brass thingos when you install it either

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installing MB's can be both easy and hard. They are more or less standardized now a days but sometimes you can run into hole configuration problems. But Platinum is right you may not need a total upgrade. Look at ram maybe just a new CPU. Sometimes there are other options. Unless you want a total upgrade
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When upgrading just remember that the quality of your motherboard should be your main concern, not necessarily the processor.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've done this before (changing mobo and cpu) and i can tell you it wasn't as easy as cake... more likely than not you'd have to re-format your harddisk otherwise you could run into a few problems due to your old config... my pc was very slow and had random errors until i reformatted it so expect to have to reformat if you want a clean system

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: upgrading my computer... few questions

Originally posted by dethfire
    ok, i want to get faster processor... I'm not very knowledgable with mobos and cpu's so I've decided to purchase a Motherboard Combo from pricewatch.com to save me many pains. Is this a good idea? Do they give you crappy mobos with a fast proccessor?
    Like glenplake said, the quality of the board is more important than the speed of the processor. A good MB will allow future upgrades, is more reliable and generally faster than a generic or "cheapie" board. Stick with name brands like ASUS, ABIT or EPOX. These are high quality boards that will let you upgrade in the future.

Another peeve of mine one those combos is that the MB have built in sound and video (sometimes NICs). These onboard devices slow down your system. Usually you can disable them and add your own vid card and sound card, but sometimes you can't.

If you don't plan on adding any hardware and need a fast cheap solution, then go for it. Otherwise, I would suggest buying each piece separately. Most MBs nowadays are PnP, so you can just add the chip and the BIOS will pick it up.

..and yes, you may have to reformat, so make a backup!

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I can sit here and tell you which mobo manufacturers I have liked, had success with, etc. the bottom line is...you need to know what processor you're getting before you buy a mobo. For instance, Abit's are great boards. They just suck with Athlon's. So if you're going to go buy an Athlon and you decide that you can get a good deal if you buy a Abit mobo, you're setting yourself up for heartache. Likewise, I like MSI boards (Microstar). I have had a great deal of success with them and good performance too. But I wouldn't recommend an MSI board for a Pentium processor of any flavor.

So know what you're looking at before you buy. Go to www.tomshardware.com and read up. Do you r homework. This is a major investment. And most of all...good luck!

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, Sketch. One more detail I would like to add. The MB also will dictate the type of RAM you will need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, my pc is a little over four months old. I have 512mb sdram so I'm good with that. I have a 900 duron with an abit mobo, i read some reviews about my mobo and it got rave reviews, but I can't remember what it's called anymore.

So, I guess, I really just want a faster proccessor. How can I tell what my mobo can handle? I have no manuel, but it is pretty new. I would like to buy an athlon xp 1700.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which board do you have?
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to tell what the limits are on your board is to find out what it is. You might be able to see it in the BIOS, but the model # should be on the board itself.

Interested in selling your old parts after you upgrade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i download this sisoft sandra program and it says my mobo is an ABIT 8363-686A (KT7,KT7A,KT7-RAID,KT7A-RAID)

what is this? I searched the internet and found nothing.

also how much difference is between a duron 900 and an athlon 1.2? Is is worth $85?
    Last edited by dethfire; Dec 18, 2001 at 15:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it should make a difference, but an $85 difference, I don't know. Is $85 hard to come by? If it's just extra cash you want to burn, then hey, what the heck, right?

I don't know how much faster it (the 1.2) will be, but the bus on the MB should run at 266 MHz instead of 200MHz and the on board cache on the TBird chip is higher than that of the Duron (much like the Pentium vs Celeron).

Maybe someone has more experience with the speeds of these two chips. Maybe some benchmarks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is some info from abit's us site:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/product/mb/kt7a.htm
    אין סוף

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC Mechanic Guide to building a PC

Hi Dethfire,

In addition to all the excellent suggestions here, if you want a good guide for putting together a PC, check out the PC Mechanic guide at http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

I can't speak for the accuracy of their information since I used alot of different sources to help me put my system together this summer...but it sure looks like they've got all the important bases covered. Good luck!

Steve