User Tag List

Thread: guidence needed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guidence needed

hi i would like to create an ecommerce site hopefully for my new business, i can build webpages and am confident i can learn any skills i dont currently have , but im a little unsure of the direction i need to go in, theres many laungages and one thing i have found in webdesign is theres more than 1 way of doing the same thing.

id like my web page to incl catogories and items with pricing etc and a shoping cart, item codes. the usual

if you could point me in the right direction eg: html and use javascript for the cart or will i need to go the route of php and mysql for a database of items ?

i dont think i would need anything like login customers in but i would like products and a shoping cart

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience of e-cart making, PHP and MySQL is the way to go.

Javascript e-carts put too much strain on the clients' computers, as it's their computers that do all the hardwork. PHP, being server side, its servers are designed for hardwork.

So, use PHP to find the details that you want from your database, then display it in a simple page using the while() function.

Any more help with it just PM me.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums RichardY, I am in total agreement with arkinstall regarding the PHP/ Mysql combo but you should look at other possibilities before embarking on this task.

You have a few other options such as:
    ASP
    .NET
    Ruby

All have their strengths and their weaknesses, look over the net at the resources and tutorials and see which one suits YOU.
    I may have found PHP easy to grasp but others dont - I dont get ASP but others do!
    So keep your options open for now

Spike
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers guys, thanks for the welcome i must admit this forums impressive ill be using it alot i think

ill keep my options open, iniitial web enquires seem to support the php being good for working with a cart and e commerce and i must admit i like the idea of server side

still a little unsure how im gunna get everything from the database to the site but hey nothing worth while is easy hehe

ive installed php and mysql tonight and blasted out a few test pages just to see if its working how weird is it going to view source and seeeing none of what you wrote hehe any ways cheers and any other suggestions on making my first ecommerce site let me know

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use OsCommerce which is a free PHP script for your e-commerce website.
    You don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ablaye
    You can use OsCommerce which is a free PHP script for your e-commerce website.
    You don't have to re-invent the wheel.
    Absolutely. Even if you are willing to opt for a paid solution (there are LOTS of 3rd party cart solutions out there), don't develop it from the ground up unless you have some very serious requirements.
    NumaNuma.com - Show us your funny side.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think PHP + MySQL + AJAX is the best way for shoping carts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I am planning on putting a website for my company. I did some research on the web for companies that offer website design and came across a site that caught my attention. It's www.eikographics.com. Can someone give me referrals about this company? Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes for CubeCart. Very easy to modify with all of the mods out there for the system.
    Web Designer and Telecom Engineer
    http://www.ecarttemplates.com
    http://www.telexus.net

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi, a quick follow up to Cherry Johnson.....
    personally I havent heard of that company but to be honest I wouldnt use a company that had a spelling error in its own TAGLINE. If this is a truly professional outfit, there is no evidence of any sotes they have completed nor any good example in their portfolio.

In fact I might be inclined to think that this is your own website and you are looking for feedback on it, if it is then you need to post in the reviews forum of this site after reading the guidlines carefully.

Other than that, welcome to the forums

Spike
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....