User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martone
    Does it crash faster than IE6?
    I don't recall IE6 ever crashing on my system. Are you on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    You'll get it sooner than that if you've got XP SP2 with automatic updates enabled and without the patch to prevent IE7 being installed via automatic update.
    Where do you get this "patch" that prevents IE7 from being part of Windows updates?

Can't I just pay attention and choose to not install IE7?
    (I don't allow Windows to update on it's on...it notifies me and I can choose which updates I install)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Matier
    Okay, 2 restarts to install a bloody browser?
    What...blood???

Personally, I'm happy with IE6...and I'd rather wait to install IE7 for a few months so they can get the exterminator in there (to take care of the bugs).

No real reason to change at the moment...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Rockrz, nice avatar

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    Where do you get this "patch" that prevents IE7 from being part of Windows updates?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

Reports of a security vulnerability in IE7 already: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7383

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprising, since about 50% of IE 7's code base is actually from IE 6, IIRC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    Off Topic:

Rockrz, nice avatar
    Like my 'ol buddy elvis used to say...thank you, thank you very much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

Reports of a security vulnerability in IE7 already: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7383
    I think that this bug was from previously versions of IE7. And that they where waiting for final versions to announce it. (better promotion for company and stronger anti-ie propaganda)
    DOWNLOAD.HR - Windows Download Portal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzi
    I think that this bug was from previously versions of IE7. And that they where waiting for final versions to announce it. (better promotion for company and stronger anti-ie propaganda)
    You mean a bug from previous versions of IE.. It appeared in IE6 and hasn't been fixed since.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to offend anything or anyone, but FireFox is extremely insecure with all it's extensions. I've heard of and experienced some really nasty things related to that. I realize that this is a thread for IE, but I had to say it.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean a bug from previous versions of IE.. It appeared in IE6 and hasn't been fixed since.
    no... for example in IE7 RC1
    DOWNLOAD.HR - Windows Download Portal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you're going to hurt the feeling of the guys at Microsoft

They're people too!
    We all make mistakes here and there. They're doing the best they can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrid
    Not to offend anything or anyone, but FireFox is extremely insecure with all it's extensions. I've heard of and experienced some really nasty things related to that. I realize that this is a thread for IE, but I had to say it.
    Not to offend anything or anyone, but I hate cookies with all those chocolate chips. I've heard of and experienced some really nasty things related to that. I realize that this is a thread for IE, but I had to say it.

(in case you don't get the hint: STAY ON TOPIC )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really...if you can't trash Microsoft's new browser...then you'll have to move on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really...if you can't trash Microsoft's new browser...then you'll have to move on
    This is a thread about IE, good or bad. Firefox's extension security model is way off topic, but someone's welcome to start a new thread about it if they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've never had any problems with IE...in spite of others trying to convince me that it's no good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of IE 7 bugs...

This one's not in the browser, but instead is in Outlook, which IE can access directly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2006...pcworld/127583

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's trying to convince you it's no good Rockrz? Either way, there is only 1 low vulnerability which is more to do with outlook then anything. I'd say that's pretty good, though I thought they rewrote the core of IE or something?

http://secunia.com/product/12366/

They patched plenty of things on www.positioniseverything.com and implemented png support & rss feeds. If this progress is continued support for standards might increase dramatically to be with all the other big boys (safari, konqueror, firefox, opera).

Overall, I am pleased to see their improvement, but still consider the browser a kid in all this, despite it's age. I also realize it's reason for improvement, which has only to do with the users money. They realized early on that by dominating the internet they could create quite the lock in.

You know the story...
    By creating a browser that only works on one Operating System and taking advantage of the earlier days when there wasn't as strong of a standards body and everything was a new thing, they could create their own code and subsequently their own standards with the resources they had. Developers liked MSIE back in their 4.0 days so started making sites for MSIE... and in order to view the internet (properly) you needed Microsoft to do so because people were designing to Internet Explorer.

I mean having a company implement whatever crazy standard they want to, and then having that made "standard" when it's released doesn't give any other browser fair opportunity. Even so, every operating system is different, so some of these standards will be IE(Windows) only and insanely difficult to implement. Likewise if other browsers decided to do that for say.. Mac or *nix.

The other problem is that even if MS did lead the css pack, that was then and done to appeal to the public to win. They were so interested in standards then.. I mean standards other than their own... though failed on implementing a few. But since they were dominant why would they care to do anything? Call me an MS basher but this seems like your typical business going on to me. Okay, call me cynical.

I suppose it all really worries me if I were to go back to IE, what would happen?

The internet is an amazing, happening place with (I believe) more information than anywhere else in the world, we need someone that can keep up and help move the web forward despite the cash incentive.

This is going off topic, but the same thing happened with Microsoft Office. Sure OpenOffice isn't that much of a contender.. I mean it's slow (although 2.0.4 is a bit faster), basic in comparison but really for making a simple resume do you really need a $300 word processor? A few months later microsoft comes out with a new look for Office because they could no longer compete on the grounds that was an office suite with drop down menu's.
    Last edited by Jack Matier; Oct 20, 2006 at 14:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in this thread, but I have had people try to tell me that IE is going to destroy my life someday, somehow.

Typical anti-Microsoft tripe, probably put out by those mac peoples

www.Position Is Everything.com
    Is this like a sex site, or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this like a sex site, or something?
    Guess I was found out eh, >.<
    www.positioniseverything.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I can see where good positioning can make a big difference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I love IE7.
    IE6 was total trash so I used Opera instead. I don't know why everyone jumps on the FF bandwagon? Maybe it's the "cool" factor like Apple has?

Anyway, I love IE7. If this was ****, I would be getting dugg down for this comment lol
    Hope I doont get banned from SP!
    =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b34nz
    I don't know why everyone jumps on the FF bandwagon?
    Same reason everyone is going out to get their butt pierced...cause everybody else is doing it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by b34nz
    I don't know why everyone jumps on the FF bandwagon?
    [offtopic]Well, Firefox is the one with the momentum and not half bad standards support either. Sure they aren't the lead of the pack in terms of that but then they aren't staggering behind like IE is either. Personally it was about getting Firefox at 10% marketshare so webmasters would take standards seriously and notice.. so that every website would work not just on Windows but on Linux and Mac OS (and not just for Firefox either). It was also to keep IE in line and force them to update their browser.

I feel as though it really is a resurrection, and one that has been put into somewhere I feel safe, the communities hands. I've been to the forums & watched the discussions and people seem to care more, showing it instead of marketing it. They do listen and things do improve based on what you or I want, not a marketing head wants.

Oh I know Firefox has it's fair share of things that make it undesirable. For one I hate how they market it as something that stops viruses etc. For two I don't enjoy it's memory problems, though I will say things are much improved in version 2.. Nothing is perfect. One of the biggest enjoyment of Open Source projects is looking in on bug reports and reading through them, seeing the progress of the situation (there's a lot to learn there).

okay, how do I do that offtopic stuff? (thanks)
    Last edited by Jack Matier; Oct 21, 2006 at 14:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, how do I do that offtopic stuff?
    Off Topic:

With the letters 'ot' enclosed in the square brackets. by themselves to open and with a '/' in the closing.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Is this "required" when going off topic?

SitePoint Zealot lightningstriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

thanks for the info about the "bb" code for off topic