SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing Second Hard Drive

HELP!

I scooped a 1.4gig HD out of an old 386 and want to install it in my PC. Problem being, there's no jumper to determine the Master/Slave config. My current HD has two jumpers on it. I'm wondering if I can yoink one off of it to use on the 1.4gigger? Also, where do I put it? Is this something that is universal or drive specific? There's no sticker on the drive to tell a person where to put that stuff.

I've got the connections to set it up in conjunction with existing HD so really all I have to do is figure out this Master/Slave thing and I'm in business.
    MediaOhgr - But then again, maybe it's just me ...

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Areyou sure that your HD with 2 jumpers doesnt need them both. I expect it does as this is the normal case.

??

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the HD name. You can always do a search on google. A lot of old HD's have their pin setup online.

Also that was the generation they were trying to figure out if they could do a pure autodetect for slave or master. These may not work on newer computers.

Also what was it in the old computer could you put it in to try it out? Or if you know and I skimmed to message to fast sorry.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a 1.4GB HD in a 386? Wow! My 486 only came with 417MB!

I agree with glenplake, your current HD might need that second jumper.

As for your second HD, most HDs usually have similar jumper settings, but since this is an old HD I would not assume that it works like your current HD. And even if it was a newer HD, I still wouldn't assume that it works the same way.

Instead, I would look up the manuals for both HDs from their manufacturer's websites. They usually post the user's guides to their porducts; you might have to spend some time looking for them first though.

If you need extra jumpers, you'll probably have to go to your local mom and pops computer speciality store. I doubt that you'd find any at big mega-stores like Future Shop.

Or you could just play around with your two jumpers, but I would advise against that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ... I'll look both HDs up on the web and see what I can find. I just realized that I can scoop the jumper off the cd-rom that is in the 386 if there is one. Yeah! A 1.4 gigger! I was suprised too! I was thinking that I can put a drive image or something on it. Set up windows98 with the basics, internet explorer, outlook (with address book), ICQ and few things then image it and send it to the second drive. I had a nasty crash a few weeks ago. What a pain in the **** that was!

I did try just throwing it in, hooking it up and powering up again but it didn't boot so some conflict goiing on there.

Thanks for you help!
    MediaOhgr - But then again, maybe it's just me ...