SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more CSS questions...

So, I pretty much had masterd the 3 column layout design I was using (ok, well not exactly mastered, but took an example layout and made it my own). Instead of tables, I now had a CSS document doing the work, and pHp templates to ad content that was global, with only the center content being different.

Then it hit me. This was still too limiting. All I had really done was clean up the layout, and make the entire thing more efficient. As I began to look over everything I wanted to do, and everything I thought it could be, I found that my approach to the problem, while correct, was not the best way.

Then I stumbled upon this... http://demo.opensourcecms.com/joomla/

And I thought about how it's layout is exactly what I was looking for and needed. And I wondered if I could acheive a simular look, only using CSS. I do not want EXACTLY what it has, but I want more than a 3-columd design. I believe the current page they have is using both CSS and tables.

So my questions are:

1. Can that sites layout be done with just CSS? I mean the overall design, not the content, that would be another story.

2. Is there any form of CSS API?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes.
    2. No. I don't really get what you mean by this.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    1. Yes.
    2. No. I don't really get what you mean by this.
    1. Great, I got something to shoot for.
    2. Like the JAVA API. Where I can look-up classes and all their controls.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    Ah yes, I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder and the link!

Now I just gotta get layout to obey what I am trying to get it to do. Seem to be running into some strange snares I don't understand. I am going to do some more research and coding and see where I can get. Then I will try to see if anyone can show me where I am going wrong.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I see that I seem to be having problems with positioning. So I thought maybe it was something with my positions. THey just would end up where I thought they would be.

So I looked up some info on positioning. And played around with some demo code. So now I think there is something wrong with positioning order in my code.

I feel kind of stupid, but would it be alright to post some of my test pages and see if anyone can explain some things to me? I am going to try a couple things first, but the previous demo of a 3-column layout I was using to learn has me really thrown off about a few topics.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose I should be taking this topic to the CSS section shouldn't I?

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStatic

EDIT: Actually, I suppose I should be taking this topic to the CSS section shouldn't I?
    Yep, which is why I'm moving it there

To help answer your questions, read the three threads marked "important" at the top of the css forum. It should give you some insight on where to go. It they don't help, then feel free to post back with specific questions. Links to your active pages would help, as a reminder....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Problem with Browser window and CSS

Im having a major CSS problem and Im sure it has a simple solution as with all major problems. Im building a site for a client and Im using complete CSS. My issue is, When I view it on my 19" (res 1280 by 1024) it looks fine, when I view it on my laptop (res 1024 x 768) the wrapper wont touch the bottom of the browser window and all the content is longer than the wrapper. Im not sure what to do, and it basically looks the same in IE, firefox, safari and opera.
    Here is the link to the site: http://alnisadesigns.com/client/jd_100506/contact.html

Oh the other thing, the only way that Im able for the wrapper to touch the bottom of the browser window is to keep increasing the height in the wrapper by percentages. Do I have to do that everytime I add more content to the page?

Someone please help.
    Alnisa Sharif
    Owner of Alnisa Designs
    Website Design and Development Firm
    email: webmaster@alnisadesigns.com