User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop slices vs html

Hi all,

I have a site that needs designing and as im used to PS i can prietty much do totaly anything i want... then apply the slices and export.

i find it hard to use tables and cells as im more of a designer than coder.

My question is.. does that make the website bad? as basicly its all images. all the text etc is part of the jpg.

i suppose its only like a flash site?

any help would be good.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all your text is images it would take *ages* to load. And if someone had a non-image browser (SEARCH ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) they cant read any of your amazing non existant grpahics.

Learn how to code tables (its easy) or css, then code it yourself instead of using images for everything.

For tables:
    <table> and </table> to open and close the table.

For table rows use <tr>

For table columns (table down) use <td>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the tips.

have a look at www.splitsec.co.uk

one page at the moment but the center content is one image as i cant achieve what i want any other way.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a useful link:
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...yze/index.html

Go to that site, enter your url and be scared at the time it will take for a dial up user to load...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken... i thought id test some other sites (competitors) that are better then mine and they are much worse (according to that link) compared to mine

does it actually matter the content is images other than for speed? google only seems to look at the description / title on pages i done in the past anyway.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google doesnt use desricptions for ranking. I search for "it services for uk busniesses" and your site was nowhere in the top 12 pages (didnt look further). If it cant read your text then what good is it?

What if a potential client saw your site and a competirtors.. He/She opens up your site. Because they are using a dial modem it takes ages to load. They decide to try your competiors site. Wow! Loaded much faster, one client for them - they didnt even see your site!

You have to think about acsesability.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like for the time being you're going to have to partner with a coder.

If you want to learn how to code yourself, read HTML, XHTML and CSS Visual Quickstart Guide by Elizabeth Castro.

It's written in plain, conversational English, and uses images to help illustrate the lessons taught in the book.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh i think you are right... thanks for the advice, ill try find a coder to help me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mordzy
    one page at the moment but the center content is one image as i cant achieve what i want any other way.
    Relatively simple layout for tables .. or maybe divs in tables to get some border effects.

And if you use all images the SEs won't be able to read your images.

If you are going to do pages, learn html (which includes tables) and css. Otherwise, get someone who knows html and css.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You dont need to hire a coder unless you want it doing NOW!
    Take a little time out to learn the basics of CSS and HTML and the layout you have there should be quite easy to achieve using CSS.

good luck with it and it's always better to learn how things are done then just pay someone else to do it!

Spike
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And, since you are learning from the very beggining... please, don't use tables and go for tableless layout instead.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikexx2020
    For tables:
    <table> and </table> to open and close the table.

For table rows use <tr>

For table columns (table down) use <td>
    <td> isn't technically a column... <td> is short for table data and position themselves next to each other within a row so can be used to display data across a page but suggesting that they are columns is likely to confuse people.

Also, considering that this person is only just starting out with HTML then I'd definitely suggest learnint CSS and seperating structure from presentation as it's a whole new challenge trying to get your mindset out of using tables once you've been used to developing in that way.

<code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I always thought of <td> as "Table Division", although I can't think of why.

Mordzy, as for your dilemma, I'd suggest hitting up the Sitepoint Marketplace. There's a lot of talenetd people here who can do the coding for you, if you don't have time to learn how to do it yourself.
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    And, since you are learning from the very beggining... please, don't use tables and go for tableless layout instead.
    A great way to get discouraged trying to learn to build sites, IMO.

I can see not doing nested tables, but a 3 column layout is rock solid in a table and fidgety as floated divs.

Also I wonder if anyone has any evidence that using tables to lay out a site has a negative impact with SEs.

BTW, if you are so gung-ho pro div and anti table, why do you use tables in your "All Foods Natural" design?

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You bring good points... it is hard to tell who is right or wrong because this is a matter of personal preference, but allow me to answer

Quote Originally Posted by old_expat
    A great way to get discouraged trying to learn to build sites, IMO.
    In my opinion, it is easier to do a tableless layout than a tabled one, if you are really interested in learning HTML and CSS, if only because it is easier to understand and faster (less tags to run through, for a start.)

So, for a begginer, it would be easier to learn the good practices from the very beggining.
    I can see not doing nested tables, but a 3 column layout is rock solid in a table and fidgety as floated divs.
    You are quite right... but the real problem is not if a 3 column layout is rock solid or not. A floated div layout is also rock solid... if you really understand what floated means (I explained how it works so many times that I will not do it right now, but it is NOT that hard!)
    Also I wonder if anyone has any evidence that using tables to lay out a site has a negative impact with SEs.
    I don't know, although for what I read in the guidelines, it should have an impact... maybe not much, but every little helps!

What I do know is that tableless layouts are much faster and easier to maintain and that's a big plus for me.
    BTW, if you are so gung-ho pro div and anti table, why do you use tables in your "All Foods Natural" design?
    it was only a suggestion that I think it will make his/her life easier in the future if he/she is going to learn about this stuff.

BTW, "All Foods Natural" is not mine (neither site nor design), I am simply promoting it because the person that owns the site has all of my respect and deserves to be promoted. That's why you will find tables

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

A thought.

If you are familiar with PS, then why not set your guide rulers in PS and then move the file to Image Ready.

You can slice and then convert to a html file with either tables or div's and CSS.

It would be easy to get a result as well as being a good learning curve to see the code that is generated.

Play around with it a bit. Won't take too long to get a good idea of what's going on.
    Last edited by Oblongpeg; Oct 20, 2006 at 18:28. Reason: Need a new keyboard. Too many mistakes.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll depend on how many tables you use. If you use just one big table to create your columns, then the difference probably isn't that great. But if you have a mass of nested tables and all your content is contained in <td>s instead of using more relevant tags (p, h1-h6, ul, ol etc.) then a SE is going to have a harder time figuring out what's what in your content and which is more important.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want or too lazy to ill be happy to write it up in code for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A floated div layout is also rock solid...
    In all browsers, say from IE 5.5 forward, and screen resolutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you have a mass of nested tables and all your content is contained in <td>s instead of using more relevant tags (p, h1-h6, ul, ol etc.) then a SE is going to have a harder time figuring out what's what in your content and which is more important.
    Using a 3 column table layout then adding headers and text in relevant tags as described above will tell the SEs the same thing as putting them in tableless divs. If you will notice in my previous comment I commented on nested tables in a negative manner.

It is very easy to do css formatting using divs and other tags within the 3 <td>s than make up the 3 column layout.

Maybe I don't know what a "floated" div is, but I think I do .. and have never been successful getting a 3 column layout to show much flexibility in all browsers.

Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In all browsers, say from IE 5.5 forward, and screen resolutions?
    yes, or from Netscape Communicator 4.7 and IE 4+ if you are using positioning instead of floating.

But, anyway, you only use divs when it makes sense to do so. Sometimes you can work directly with the elements, without having to wrap them in a div. It really depends on the layout.