User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Float drop challenge

Hello all.

I have yet another IE float drop challenge for you. I am aware that this comes up a lot, and I hope I'm not trying your patience by asking for help with it.

The page has 3 columns, center is fluid ('holy grail' type layout). Float drop happens when an IE user shrinks the window width to <620px, when the far right column (a PHP include called 'indexfeatures') pushes the content (a DIV called 'maintextbox') down.

What I want is that IE behave like Firefox, et al: not try to shrink content any more at a certain point, and to just add the scroll bar at the bottom.

The column layout is based on Paul O'Brien's website (link design. It's pretty heavily modified, obviously, but the core concepts are there.

The html file is here, the CSS file is here. (CSS file's pretty long, but we're mostly looking at 'maintextbox' and how it's getting dropped by the #right, the right-side include.)

Currently, I have a workaround posted on the front page that uses this IE expression to define the width of 'maintextbox' using the * html hack:

width: expression(document.body.offsetWidth - 290);

My boss and I are running with that for now, but it makes the screen 'jitter' while the browser calculates the expression during a resize. Strikes us as ugly and I've been searching for a solution ever since.

I have tried the minus-margin solution around every chunk of DIVness I can think of.

I have tried this solution as well.

And I'm stumped. If there's anything you want to know, please tell me. I throw my misery on the forums' collective brilliance and hope!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're looking for min-width, which will be supported in Internet Explorer 7 when it is released in a few weeks.

In the meantime, go to www.pmob.co.uk and look for "expressions" and "filters"

You can also search here on Sitepoint for them as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a min-width IE expression (mentioned in the 6th line in the original post) - but the content is complicated enough to cause an irritating flickering while the resized window is moving.

That's what I'm trying to work around with beeyooteeful CSS-only. If not for the flickering I'd have considered the thing finished.