SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I do this without frames?

Is there a way to have the menu on the left on the forums without the frames? the site is http://duke3d.org/.

thank you.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be done, but you're going to have to use PHP includes to do this.
    PHP Code:
    <?php include("/includes/filename.inc.php"); ?>
    filename is the name of the file (you can name it anything you want), .inc is the type of file (an include file), and .php is just to prevent any one from directly looking at the contents.

The hard part will be modifying the phpBB template files to incorporate your changes without breaking the forum. I'm not a phpBB user, so I can't tell you how to do that (I use SMF instead of phpBB).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, do you need the .inc in the call or is that just "good coding practice"?

Also, could he not just use some CSS and make the same page (and maybe even better) and call the .php in his say #leftmenu or #leftmargin and then call the pHpBB display code in a #center or #centercontent. Or would that possibly cause problems as well?

Or if not CSS, some 100% tables?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke6767
    Is there a way to have the menu on the left on the forums without the frames? the site is http://duke3d.org/.

thank you.
    If you are talking about the scrolling effect of the main content while keeping the menu fixed, you can use a div with "overflow: auto;".

Some example code:

<div class="content">

Your Content

</div>

.content {
    color: #333333;
    font-size: 11px; font-weight: 400;
    margin: 5px;
    padding: 5px;
    height: 420px; overflow: auto;
    border-left: 0px #c0c0c0 solid;
    border-top: 1px #c0c0c0 dashed;
    border-bottom: 1px #c0c0c0 dashed;
    width: 440px;
    }

When Your Content in the div exceeds 420 pixels in height, a verticle scroll bar just for that div/section will appear.

It is actually quite a nice way to present certain types of content.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStatic
    Dan, do you need the .inc in the call or is that just "good coding practice"?
    filename.inc.php is just good coding practice (and in the case of include files, secure).

For example, if you have a template file, filename.template.php would help identify the file as a template.

Obviously, on the front-end of things, .inc.php or .template.php would not be shown (since it would all be run off of index.php for example), and is just used as the glue that holds the application together.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStatic
    Also, could he not just use some CSS and make the same page (and maybe even better) and call the .php in his say #leftmenu or #leftmargin and then call the pHpBB display code in a #center or #centercontent. Or would that possibly cause problems as well?

Or if not CSS, some 100% tables?
    Do you mean write the menu in HTML, save it as an include file (like menu.inc.php), call the include file via the include function and let the main stylesheet handle the CSS work? That was the original idea .

But since I'm not familiar with phpBB templates, I have to admit I'm not qualified to answer the rest of the question.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much guys. You've been a big help.