SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I mostly agree with wluke. I think the main thing to consider when deciding on what resolution to desing for is will you get many visitors in low resolutions of WebTV and I think due to your subject mater you will. When you look at this site it is designed for 800x600 and I also agree with this decision as I think most people who visit this site will be experience internet users so probably running in a resolution of at least 800x600. Maybee Matt could tell us the percentages?

I think at the moment there is a lot of conflicting opinions about what resolution to design for as I have saw many descusions involving it at this and other webmaster forums. I think soon it will be the standard for everyone to design for 800x600 and above.

Fletch

[This message has been edited by adamfletch (edited May 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by adamfletch (edited May 25, 2000).]

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd actually be suprised how many people use webtv. When I made my first site I was suprised when I saw it showing up in my logs. I didn't think people actually used it.

As far as resolution is concerned I like sites with a small centered table for content. The dodge corporate site is an example of this. www.4adodge.com That is viewable on just about anything. You just have to decide how small a table you want. Obviously not smalled than 468 since that is a banner ad but I think you could survive with a table around 550 width. Just make a smaller logo and much much smaller buttons.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site, http://www.wrestlegamez.com/ is a site devoted to wrestling trivia and games. Anyway, I plan to change the layout at some point this summer (I believe the look is very simple and not too elegant - any suggestions are welcome). Anyway, when viewed at 640 x 480, the site pretty much falls apart. Should I just ignore the users who view it at this resolution, even though there are a few? How can I change the layout so that these users can see the site fine? Thanks in advance.

-Josh
    WrestleGamez.com
    Your only source for wrestling trivia and games on the web!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ignore 640 X 480 your ignoring 10% of the market. In turn your also ignoring WebTV viewers who have a lower resolution of 544 X 372 pixels (WebTV Developer Checklist). Considering the nature of your site it seems plausible that a lot of WebTV users will visit during wrestling telecasts to pass time during commercials or to find trivia. WebTV doesn't even allow a horizontal scrollbar so your lost. With well over 1 million WebTV devices sold and more being sold all the time this could become a serious portion of your user demographics. WebTV costs a mere $69 dollars to purchase compared to $500 and up for a full PC. Even though I currently have 3 PC's at home and one at work, All with highspeed access. I am planning on getting WebTV service as well. The reason is that it will expand our Television experience and when people visit they can check their email without accessing my computer (which I am very possessive of).

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go for 640x480 then you can get a table of 600 pixels on screen without horizontal scrollbar. But like Wayne said you are likely to get a lot of web tv users.

You could considering using server side scripting to perform browser detection and adjust the width of the table up to 600 for people at 640x480 and lower for web tv.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I promised to myself to make my new site a total of about 470 pixels long--2 more pixels than a banner. But since I use percent table lengths instead of absolute pixel values, it works and looks fairly good at 1600x1200 too.

Also there are going to be some X-Box and Dreamcast gamers who want to check on your site for wrestling info (they'd be playing wrestling video games) and they'd be running at a low resolution, too.