SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast solevangelist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP 5.1.6 crashing IIS Worker Process

I am having a problem with PHP 5.1.6 running in ISAPI mode on on a Windows 2003 SP1 / IIS6 /w ASP.NET 2.0 / MySQL 5 / PHP 5 machine.

I believe it's a reasonably common problem, but one I am yet to see a solution for (except disabling DEP on the w3wp.exe, which I'm not prepared to do). I've seen it related to the order of PHP modules loading, but I'm only running the MySQL module.

I have put my PHP stuff in a seperate Application Pool, so only that is affected at this stage. When I login to my server (also happens when I restart IIS) I'll see a handful of errors like this.

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01aa5f80.

- and -

Error 1009's for W3SVC in the System Event Log.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost annoying enough to make me fall back to PHP 4...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to finally find that I'm not the only one with this problem! Identical server setup and I'm seeing identical errors. They seem to appear randomly, however I've found that launching a PHP script that runs an infinite loop will almost undoubtedly trigger the same error.

So far the errors are not affecting system availability or reliability, and this is a production server under moderate use. It will be gaining more traffic rapidly in the near future (deploying several new apps on it, migrating some existing apps from an old server to this one, even deploying Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server on the same box) so I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Right now it's merely a nuisance any time I log on the server (gotta click through all the "Do you want to send an error report?" dialog boxes) and is not impacting performance at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same problem, a little more info

I'm having the same problem. I find that the time on the errors in the application event logs exactly match the time for a user logon. It can either be me loging on using remote desktop or it can be IUSR_machinename. It doesn't happen with every logon.

If I leave the remote desktop logon running, then I do not get the errors. This is particularly frustrating since I believe that I have to leave it running in order to attach a debugger and get an IIS dump of the problem. I had a debugger attached for a week and no errors

Anyone have any ideas on how to go after this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, here are the reports listed at bugs.php.net - no joy whatsoever.

#36853 - Worker process crashes after application pool recycle
    #36853 - Worker process crashes after application pool recycle
    #37575 - Faulting application w3wp.exe
    #35263 - Crash during IIS Restart

Saw this article on eweek.com, Microsoft, Zend to Collaborate on PHP for Windows. Perhaps Microsoft might give them a "You know Zend...how about the latest version of your product not working on the latest version of our product...you know, sort it out". Time to send Ricky Gervais over there! (Part 1, Part 2).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zend has released PHP 5.2. It's too early to be sure but it looks to me as though this may have fixed the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God for that. Everything seems to be working ok... *phew*, what a relief! This has restored my faith in PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh! This has got my hopes up!! I'll upgrade my server to 5.2 this weekend and with any luck my error log will stop getting spammed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks all good so far, am I right in saying for a basic PHP upgrade all is required is extracting the PHP zip into c:\PHP\ after deleting the existing files (except for php.ini)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalgroup
    Looks all good so far, am I right in saying for a basic PHP upgrade all is required is extracting the PHP zip into c:\PHP\ after deleting the existing files (except for php.ini)?
    Yuppers, provided you didn't do what much earlier versions suggested and put DLLs and the like into C:\WINDOWS\ etc. Checking phpinfo() after the install should tell you if you were successful or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bum news - that bloody IIS Worker Process is still crashing after upgrading to PHP 5.2.0. Or am I unique - has the upgrade solved the problem for anyone else?

EDIT: I take that back: that error was one that for some reason queued up while I was upgrading and waited until I logged in today to tell me about it. So, I'll continue to play the waiting game to see if PHP 5.2.0 solves the problem.