SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question kindly help me with setting up wordpress on awardspace

i signed up for a free account on wordpress and awardspace (im not so fussy about having my own domain at the moment) but then found i can't change the css, the themes or anything. the only way is to download the software, upload it to my own hosting service and then i may do with it what i wish. although right now... i dont even know how to get it set up.

i have free hosting on awardspace. i've downloaded wordpress and filezilla. now what? i feel very ashamed to ask this because they have installation guides and everything, but none of it makes sense to me.

so far with awardspace i've made an ftp account with a password and username, i've created a MySQL database with a password and username and i've put the MySQL password and username in the wp-config.php file.

i think the next thing i have to do is upload all those WP files to awardspace using filezilla only i dont know how to do that, dont know where to start and would really really appreciate any help. if thats not the next thing i have to do, could somebody tell me what is?

thank you to anyone who would be so kind as to help me figure this out

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Are you having trouble logging into your ftp account? Or just uploading the files? It's really easy from the point you say you are at. I will be glad to assit in anyway that I can.

If you are logged in, use filezilla to browse to the wp files on your hard drive, then highlight all the files and folders then right click and select upload. It will take a few minutes.

Aftrer this is done, using your browser goto: http://your-site.com/wp-admin/install.php

Then follow the steps.

If that does not help, ask again. We will get it sorted.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello! thank you so much for replying to my thread and for your offer to help! im very very grateful!

ok, so lets get started? i have the instructions open here and im trying to create a new database in awardspace. it says Create new table on database belledumonde_wp:. i've entered blog as the name of the database but its also asking for number of fields. um, what fields are those and how many will i be wanting?

now on the filezilla side, i have the instructions open for that too. i've successfully made an ftp account, its connecting to the server and all i need to do now is upload wordpress. i just have a couple of questions before i do that. what mode should it be in? auto? Binary? or ASCII? and do i have to have the mysql thing all done first before i can upload?

once i get that figured will i be done with setting up and then able to start designing/personalizing?

thanks so much for your time!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by belledumonde

ok, so lets get started? i have the instructions open here and im trying to create a new database in awardspace. it says Create new table on database belledumonde_wp:. i've entered blog as the name of the database but its also asking for number of fields. um, what fields are those and how many will i be wanting?
    What you are trying to do is create a table which is what you don't want to do. The wordpress install will do it automatically. You already have the database created which is: belledumonde_wp

now on the filezilla side, i have the instructions open for that too. i've successfully made an ftp account, its connecting to the server and all i need to do now is upload wordpress. i just have a couple of questions before i do that. what mode should it be in? auto? Binary? or ASCII? and do i have to have the mysql thing all done first before i can upload?
    leave the default settings for filezilla and it will be fine. Simply drag and rop the files into the root of your web server (this may be called httpdocs on your server)

once i get that figured will i be done with setting up and then able to start designing/personalizing?

thanks so much for your time! [/QUOTE]
    Sara

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for your timely response!

Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    What you are trying to do is create a table which is what you don't want to do. The wordpress install will do it automatically. You already have the database created which is: belledumonde_wp
    oh i see, so thats done. what i need to do is add a user with full privelages? coz what im seeing is this

Databases
    Database
    belledumonde_wp

and bold red letters: No Privileges

but i need full privelages dont i? how do i do that?

Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    leave the default settings for filezilla and it will be fine. Simply drag and rop the files into the root of your web server (this may be called httpdocs on your server)
    thanks!

btw, im also seeing this which is disturbing me: DB Space quota: 10MB, but the total disk space i can have is 200MB, how come so little for the DB? how long can i blog before that fills up?

thank you again!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did it! it's alive!

thanks guys for the push in the right direction. it wasnt so hard after all