SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Organizing a New Website - Folders or Not?

First off, I'm not a developer. This is a new site I am building for myself. It will be primarily a "content" travel site. I figure the site will eventually reach 500 pages or more .. depending on my energy, success, budget .. and my .. um .. longevity.

I have a couple of dozen pages built and have fiddled with the navigation enough to start looking at alternatives.

I am making some assumptions based on reading Sitepoint and a couple of other webmaster forums for a few years.

Folder Structure
    • In terms of organization, going with folders seem a lot easier to "control"

• Well-named folders add some good keywords into filepaths

• I have heard that SEs don't rank second level pages as well as top level pages

Page Name Structure
    • If SEs rank top level pages better, I should get more traffic

• Well-named pages also add good keywords into filepaths, but not as many as well-named pages and well-named folders

• In terms of organization, searching through a list of several hundred pages in one folder can get tedious .. (I know, as I have one site with 1,200 pages under /public_html)

Naming Pages
    I figure if I go with the all-pages-in-home-folder, the naming conventions are even more important.

I plan on using something like:
    • country-province-province name-attraction(or?).php or
    • country-subject-location-specific attraction(or?).php

I think that "country-city" might be opposite from the way most users search, but it would probably save what little hair I have left.

I would appreciate comments and recommendations.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both methods have there drawbacks but i would go with a folder structure mainly because once you get to 20+ pages everything in one folder is a nightmare to maintain and the urls are just so much nicer.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree... I would go for folder structure, specially if you are going to make it big. I also think that it is better for search engines and, even if you create the links dynamically using php, it will cause no problems, and the big plus for you is that it will easier to maintain things organized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote folders! It's like throughing all your paper on your desk, or putting them in an organized fashion in a filing cabinet. Eventually you won't be able to find anything on your desk.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also think about adding a date to your naming conventions as a few years down the line, you'll be wanting to know how old something is. I append month and date for example tip_nyc1006.html with all the images and graphics called nyca1006.jpg, nycb1006.jpg etc. That way, you can associate images with pages and easily locate them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the input from you guys. I am in the process of sorting the content by folder and coming up with good names.

Now comes some decisions on navigation which I see as the most important design element of a site.