SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have my tables working pretty good now but it seems that when a browser has font settings set to large my page gets pushed out to the right and I must scroll over to see what is on the right side of the page. How can I keep everything viewable ( no horizontal scrolling) no matter how large or small the browser's font settings are. Put another way I would like my page to scale to whatever size the viewing browser is set to so it can all be seen at once. Also, in IE when the favorites window on the left is opened the page gets pushed off to the right and scrolling is needed. How can I prevent this.
    Scarlet www.learning2earn.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the IE favorites window. Well if someone has that thing open and they get a horizontal scroll bar they can fix it.

As far as the browser font setting... Override it. Specify your font size. You can use icky font tags or the better choice, CSS. There is a coding in style CSS tutorial on this site. Its pretty much the same reason you specify your background as white. Some people change their default background to say black (weirdos) and then they can't read your page. As far as the big fonts, some people have trouble reading, I worked with a nearly blind guy once, he had to put his face inches from the screen to read size 12 text. So all his defaults were big fonts. If you specify your font size and he goes to your site he wont be able to read a thing.... but he wont have that horizontal scroll bar. So what do you do...

Chris

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to your site (learning2earn.com) and it had a horizontal scrollbar no matter what font size I chose on resolutions of less then 1024 X 768.

If you want to eliminate the horizontal scrollbar you need to re-work your tables. Get your master table setup using percentages. This will allow the table to grow and shrink depending on the browser. Then if you need fine-tuning you can use sub-tables with pixel by pixel measurements.

If you go to a fluid design of using percentages instead of hard-coded values the problem with IE's explorer bars will go away as well.

For an Idea of what I am talking about check out: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/Foru...ML/000386.html

This site scales perfectly at any resolution I could through at it.
    ------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited May 25, 2000).]