SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<address> and/or class="vcard"?

I was wondering if anyone has any preferences in using the vcard microformat or the address tag or a combination of both.

Would nesting the address tag right inside the vcard div be the best of both worlds or invalidate the microformat?

It seems like they do the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone...Buehler...?

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't do the same thing.

vCard is an electronic business card.

ADDRESS is contact information for the document.

If you want a business card that is contact information for the document then you can combine vCard and ADDRESS, but otherwise use DIV or so.
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - a business card has my contact info, as would a vCard:
    email "address"
    business "address" and so on

This is the very same address data that is suggested be contained with <address> tag is it not?

Seems like fusing the two, as they are intended to describe the same general types of data (but of course are not literally the same thing), would make sense if I want people to be able to contact me easily.

I have no interest in being novel, just in being practical.

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ADDRESS is more like "if you want to contact the author of this document then here's the contact info", or such-likes. ADDRESS as a business card might be appropriate on a portfolio page, for instance, but all business cards are not necessarily contact info for the document.
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough - I appreciate your feedback and insights as always Simon - they are invaluable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the elastic, hybrid vCard/address I was talking about - it is suited to a portfolio or bio type page.

I added some classes to the vCard "microformat" so to speak - I wonder if that invalidates it - I don't know how strict you need to be with microformats, but judging by the somewhat sloppy code the generators on the microformats site spit out I have to imagine the small additions I made are within the spec. I will read up on it further...
    Last edited by brandaggio; Oct 16, 2006 at 17:01. Reason: Fixed code in link a bit

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell, since the "spec" doesn't actually have any document conformance requirements as far as I can tell.
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right - seems like it is more an idea with some suggested code at this point.

Trying to organize the code (and related to our discussion about p tags in forms for organization) got me to thinking about just setting display: block; on spans instead of using p tags in some instances.

Such a fine line as to whether or not the p tag has some semantic value for non-paragraphs and if that is better than a generic span or div (realizing of course block level elements couldn't be enclosed in a span). Hmmm...
    Last edited by brandaggio; Oct 16, 2006 at 17:01.