User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Security - Your thoughts?

Hi all

OK! I got this presentation to give on monday about the basics of IT security for uni aka college, it is a selection of students, none of which do computing

It is mainly on Internet security. I have writtern it out, its ok, but what would you include in yours? Any things you think would be crucial?

At present it concentrates on trogans, viruses and unauthorised access.

Any top sites you could remend?

Cheers
    h

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K. I'm no security expert but I might mention usability of security systems, and how increased technological security can really hurt the overall security of a system. For instance, auto-generated passwords are often hard to remember, so people will Post It on their monitors-- inherently less secure than letting users choose their own passwords. That's just one example -- the same rules of usability exist for secure systems as insecure ones.

O.K. I'm off my soapbox, now. :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

g

Well i just think there should be lots of security on the net cuse of all the hackers and stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Ian, I think I'll include that! Cheers

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd mention encryption. Different kinds. What it does. And most importantly, how hackers break the encryption. That could be real technical but it could easily be put in layman's terms too. I think the biggest lie out there is security. Sure things can be 99% secure, but there is still that 1%. How is this 1% exploited? Microsoft VP of Security (or something to that degree) defended Microsoft's poor track record on security. I don't agree with what he was defending but he is absolutely correct. If something is created by 1's and 0's it can be exploited in the same way.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sketch,
    I see what your saying, it you can never be "secure" but that shouldn't stop you trying. In the same way, somebody could easily get into your house if they really wanted, but that doesn't stop you putting a lock on the door.

A basic but still accurate explanation of encription could be a challage. Thawte's and Verisign's are quite long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been to:

http://grc.com/dos/intro.htm

Good info clearly explained.

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to add some information about firewalls, from most basic to most advanced:

1. Packet-Filtering Firewall
    2. Circuit-Level Firewall
    3. Application-Level Firewall

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open relay's
    How NOT to configure a router
    NT /2k server security

The link Jimknee mentioned above is a great read also.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet security? Isn't that an oxymoron, like 'business ethics' or 'military intelligence'?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    laurie, I guess it is a bit! But anyway.

Jimknee, thats a top site. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by laurieb
    Internet security? Isn't that an oxymoron, like 'business ethics' or 'military intelligence'?
    pfffft, no. Taking security seriously, and investing some money, will GREATLY reduce the chances of being hacked. Company's don't take it seriously, thats why you read/hear about how some 12 yr old stole thousands of credit cards from some online shop.

Security would be way less of a problem if more ppl were in the know, and started wising up.

If I were giving a speech about internet security to a group of non-technical people, I would talk about personal firewalls for the machines at home with cable/DSL.

Last year, when Yahoo, cnn, ebay and a few others, were all taken down by a DDOS attack, there was a man in my town who had his computer confiscated by the FBI, in connection with these attacks. The hacker placed a bot, or as the media calls them-zombie, on his computer, which in turn attacked these web sites. The hacker did this without the computer owners' knowledge.

It's the fed govt. Do you think he will ever get his computer back? Probably not.

Explain that having a firewall on your personal computer is not only to keep bad things from happening to YOUR computer, but also so that your computer isn't used to attack others.

I could talk for years on security. PM/email me if you need some more

Cheers
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?