SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[ajax] Multiple server requests to triggered by user action

I have an web application (PHP backend) where I want to initiate multiple requests to the same server (to different php functions/files) and asynchronously update the response on the page (the call back function is same for all the requests).

What is the best solution for this ? Is it better to

a) call multiple server calls from the java script file? if so Do we create multiple http objects ? can someone point me to the few examples ?

b) call one Php service and have the php fork the multiple requests on the server side. I am not sure if this can be done multiple requests be done asynchronously on the server side ? and if so how to dynamically update teh resultant page as each request finishes?

Any insight into other options for this scenario is also highly appreciated.

thanks
    Dave.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd submit multiple transactions using JavaScript. An XMLHttpRequest object can only work on one transaction at a time so you will need to use multiple objects.

Just my $0.02....

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful. Due to the asynchronous nature of ajax and the unpredictable nature of http request/response timings you can end up with updates that don't occur in the correct order. Consider this timeline:

- ajax 1 initiated
    - ajax 2 initiated
    - ajax 3 initiated
    - ajax 2 complete, update page
    - ajax 3 complete, update page
    - ajax 1 complete, update page

In some cases this doesn't matter, in other cases it does. You will have to decide.

What I have done in the past is use 1 request/response object and a buffer:

- ajax 1 initiated
    - try to initiate ajax 2, is ajax 1 complete? No -> store request in a buffer.
    - ajax 1 complete - anything in the buffer? Yes -> initiate ajax 2
    (etc etc, hope you follow)