SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy video maintenance for client

I have a client that says all he has to do is upload the video to a specific address and his web site picks it up. No coding or anything. I have my doubts unless someone in here can tell me different. His site is www.peppersracing.com.

If this is not the case, what would be the simplest way for a non-technical client to be able to maintain his own video archives on his site.

Thanks,
    Houston
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs
    Bringing your ideas to light.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be a server side process that transcodes his videos to the end format (in his case wmv) either that or he already has encoded them before uploading.

A popular way to do this is to use php to upload the file, ffmpeg to encode it to flv, then php adds it to a database to be displayed. While the backend coding isn't beginner level, the end result as far as user interface is up to the developer how simple they make it. In essence sites like youtube are successful because they hide all the backend processing and management and just easily allow upload of media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks stevewebdev2005,

Very good explanation. I guess all I have to do now is find someone to set all that back end stuff up for me.

Cheers
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs
    Bringing your ideas to light.