SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I code in CSS from my layout Page?

Hi group,

As my forum name implies, I am a scrub designer and have learned web designing from reading books beginning with "Frontpage" then moving on to "Dreamweaver".

Dreamweaver was a God send for me because it allowed me to use layers and tables to place my content exactly where I wanted it on my page. However, it left me with messy code because of my ineptness and not that of the software.

So now I am trying to convert over to CSS style which I believe I will enjoy even more.

I would rather not use tables and I prefer to use layers sparingly. I am trying to figure out a good technique to use when coding my pages.

Typically, I will create a site flowchart and rough draft the pages using pencil and paper which shows where the content should appear.

Here's my question(s), Should I just code from the top down? I know that sounds like a stupid question because even I think the answer should be "Yes, duh...".

However, I'm kind of thinking ahead about a "Flash" movie that I plan to embed further down the page to the right. I would previously use a layer in Dreamweaver to accomplish this.

I have resolved to take a little extra time and try to code according to standards set so that when others read my code when trying to help/assist me, they won't be appalled. I am sure coding to the set standards now, will alleviate problems in the future as well.

For all of you CSS book writers, I believe you are missing a topic that very little is said about which is, "Page layout ~ structure & techniques".

I know, I know... "everyone codes differently", "there are many ways to accomplish ONE thing" and "you gotta' be creative".

Any one of the above statement needed a base or template if you will, to get started.

I would buy the book right now if one exsist.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I've submitted the above post, I started to go through some of the books I have recently purchased on CSS.

Wouldn't you know it; I have a book title "Designing without tables using CSS" authored by Andrew & Shafer. I believe chapter 8 is the answer to my question, just from briefly browsing through it.

Me think me shall walk away from my workstation, find a comfortable reading area and give this book the 'Ole once over' ay!

designerScrub