SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Background image

I am not totally new to CSS, but I recently decided to take it a little more seriously. I do a lot of ASP.Net programming so I usually don't pay that much attention to CSS, Web 2.0, etc.

I am trying to set a background image on my page. It is displaying, but it is not displaying the whole picture. It is only displaying the top middle portion of my picture.

Here is the CSS

body
    {
    background: black url("../../Images/yard.jpg") no-repeat fixed center right;
    }

Do I need to resize the picture in a program like Photoshop in order to display the whole thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the background image extending to the edge of the window, Tony? If so, then yes, you will need to reduce the size of the image in a photo editing program such as Photoshop. It is likely your background image will appear in full in larger resolutions though.

If the background isn't extending to the edge of the window, then there is something else which is causing a problem. In that case, we would need to see the page in question to identify the cause.
    Regards,
    Jamie Harrop

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is extending to the edge of the entire window. Is there a rule to determine how small I should resize the image in Photoshop so that it will adjust properly depending the end user's browser size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately it isn't possible to expand or contract a background image depending on screen resolution, Tony. If there was, you would find that the image would become distorted as it is enlarged.

Just out of interest, how large is your current image?

I suppose the only solution would be to reduce the size to something that looks reasonable on as many resolutions as possible.
    Regards,
    Jamie Harrop

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I see why now.

The image is 1536px in height by 2048px in width.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Yep, that wouldn't even fit on my resolution which is at the highest possible resolution I can get my laptop to go.
    Regards,
    Jamie Harrop