SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Web Design Elements

Hi, what would you guys consider the most important web design elements that a web site should have? User-friendly, accessibility, functionality, usability, content? Which would be paramount? I find there are so many elements to be considered that I think having a consensus of the main elements would be helpful. Any suggestions please? Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion the most important element of a web design is overall elegance. By elegance I mean a combination of simplicity and ease of use with powerful features and compelling content. A good website should not only be a joy for end users to look at, but also a joy for them to use.

However, web design can differ drastically based on the purpose of the site and the content involved. I think the most important thing to remember when starting a web design is that you're acting as the architect of a virtual space. The design will be one that end users will be immersed in and interacting with, you're not creating somthing purely static like print work or graphic design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably heard of "content is king" before, and i completely agree with that. But the other things you mention like usability / accessibility / functionality are basicly just as important.

I mean you can spend a long time writing the best content of the world, but if people have a really hard time accessing it or get lost all the time on your website. And you don't have a clear user-friendly navigation. Then there's no point on spending time on your content, since only a few will probably find it and read it.
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Functionality - Consistant navigation
    Accessibility - Avoid tiny text
    Accessibility - Always always always use contrasting link text colours
    Functionality - Fast loading pages - even on broadband
    Content - No spelling mistakes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Functionality - Consistant navigation
    IMO, that makes or breaks most sites for me. If the navigation is confusing or is not consistant, I'll just look for another site to get what I need.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all the elements that you have mention are all important to be consider asBest Web Design.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content shall include usability, functionality, accessibility. You shall ask the content and user friendly, and seo friendly, which is important. I do think is the most important, and then it's user friendly, and the last will be seo friendly.

Remember, design your site for users, not for search engines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content!