User Tag List

Hybrid View

Once I was a Factory Worker goofy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Development Environment Setup

When you have multiple people working together on a range of sites, Ie: a web design / development team, what do you recommend in setting up the infrastructure. Ie Tools, systems etc

I'm working is a group of 3-5 people and we are looking at improving our workflow as everyone works locally on their machine. Just wondering how others have migrated to a better web dev environment.
    Goofy
    Life is what you make it!
    Follow your dreams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't work in a team, but I'd look into source control (subversion or CVS). The idea is that the project assests are kept centrally and checked out, modified, and returned in a controlled manner.
    The source control system handles the differences in files to stop people overwriting other peoples work. It also keeps a history of every file so a previous version can be reverted to.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good long term solution would be to read up on project management - there are principles involved that tools can't replace. One book I can recommend is "Web ReDesign 2.0 - Workflow That Works" (by Kelly Goto & Emily Cotler).

Suggesting specific tools depends on the type/complexity of your projects, but if version control is an issue I would consider taking cranial's advice on a CVS.

I use Basecamp to manage my team projects and it's OK for my needs - I'm not doing anything too crazy. Simply "subscribing to it" won't fix anything though, it's still up to you to organize the project/workflow properly.

You may also want to contact Sagewing (a Sitepoint member) about some help. (He may even end up posting here.)

Good Luck!

-Costas
    Last edited by firehous; Oct 12, 2006 at 08:30.
    In order to understand recursion
    one must first understand recursion