User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to put a link layer above a table

Hi!

I have a table with a calendar with cells that contain the day numbers. Days with activities have a link on the day number. I want to put a layer above the table with a new link that overrides the links in the table below.

I've had some success. I added an anchor element and positioned it above the table with this class:

.calendarlink{
    position:absolute;
    top:0px;
    left:0px;
    width:145px;
    display:block;
    height:150px;
    }

If I set a background color on the anchor element, everything works perfectly.

But I need to see the layers below, and without a solid background color, it only works outside the cells in the table. This behaviour is consistent in both IE and Firefox.

Any idea what's going on?

Regards,

Vidar

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I assume you've tried setting the z-index of each accordingly? set the calendar link to have a higher z-index than the elements below.

We would sneed to see an example to give any more advice but you should know that absolute positioning and tables don't go hand in hand very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you're approaching this the right way?
    You could just make the numbers of the day with activities into a link, instead of having to place a div on top of it.

-or- If your days can only hold one activity, place an anchor right inside the TD tags and have all your content (inlcuding the day number) inside it. I made an online calendar app, and that's pretty much what I did, but I had support for several activities (links) on each day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see the code here:

http://195.26.0.135/testcal

Junjun:

I know I could make the day numbers into links. The table below contains links on the dates with activities. But I don't want to alter the code for it, I just want to add a layer on top that links to another page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to fix it myself.. I added a transparent gif in the anchor tag that was positioned above the table..

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner (haveing trouble with my broadband connection) but glad you fixed it anyway