SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think my coder is raising prices.

Hi, I have been working with my coder on lyricslook.com for quite some time now and I feel like he is raising the prices on me.

I asked him if he could convert the "Top Lyrics Sites" at the bottom of http://www.lyricslook.com to an affiliates section where I could add/delete sites and hes says he needs $200 to do it at his regular $10/hr. Do you know how long something like this would take and how much it would normally cost? I feel like I am definitely being cheated here.

I really need your help because he has been working with me for over a year on this site. Its pretty complex code so I dont know how easy it would be to hire another coder to continue with it. Or would it be possible to hire someone to analyze his work to verify how much time he has spent on it?

Thanks

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, 10$/hr? Sounds like that is a steal great deal for you.

It would be where I live.

Edit: College student perhaps?

SitePoint Enthusiast Northern Star's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $10/hr? Wow! You've got a great deal on the hourly rate!

I suppose your question is 'Would this update really take 20 hours to complete?' - Your basically asking for a content mangement system for your afflilates, which isn't exactly a quick update!

Without seeing the code, or having a full specification, no one will know but your coder. $200.00 sounds like a bargain to me though... that's got to be, what, 130.00? That'd get you about 2 hours work at my place.
    "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"
    ----
    Northern Star - Web design, stategy & development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, ...

Like you say, your coder may well be raising his prices... thats just natural progression of any business.

Everyone's got to start somewhere, and as I've personally experienced this I know exactly what it's like. To start with work gets done for FREE, then it gets done for next to nothing, and then (if your lucky) you might actually be able to scratch a living out of it.

Its a tough industry to be in.

The other question you need to ask is 'Is the update worth $200.00' - will it save you hours on administration? Will it save you $500.00 in future updates? Will it increase your revenue?
    ----

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's obvious that your $10 an hour programmer is very inexperienced. On the basis of probability, it is very likely that the codebase of your site has fundamental architectural errors, security, stability and performance issues. It is likely that any other programmer of similar experienced would not be able to comprehend what this programmer has done without a considerable investment of time. It is unlikely that any programmer of better experience would be interested in working on such a codebase, or for an employer that complains about or cannot afford $200.

Figure out your options from there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian sub-continent and the power of the internet.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yacka
    It's obvious that your $10 an hour programmer is very inexperienced. On the basis of probability, it is very likely that the codebase of your site has fundamental architectural errors, security, stability and performance issues. It is likely that any other programmer of similar experienced would not be able to comprehend what this programmer has done without a considerable investment of time. It is unlikely that any programmer of better experience would be interested in working on such a codebase, or for an employer that complains about or cannot afford $200.

Figure out your options from there.
    On the basis of probability sure, but it could very well be someone just trying to build their portfolio. I did many sites for cheap/free when I was starting out. It's the only way to land bigger contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thing
    On the basis of probability sure, but it could very well be someone just trying to build their portfolio. I did many sites for cheap/free when I was starting out. It's the only way to land bigger contracts.
    ^ Your not the only one.
    ----