SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help website price evaluation

Hi there,
    First of all, I could not figure out where to post this, so I figured that this would be a good place to start since it's php/mysql retaled. Mods, feel free to move this thread elsewhere if need be.

I'd like to get your help to evaluate the price of a php/mysql game that I am interested in buying. I have 2 options, either buy the plain script or the script with its current player base. Sorry but I cannot provide the game's name, and hope you guys don't mind.

The game is level based (the more you play/kill/..., the more you level up) and the DB is around 5000 players (level 1 and above) of whom around 2150 players (level 1+) logged in and played during the last 3 months and around 1050 (level 2+) logged in and played during the last 3 months.
    So how much do u think that DB is worth?

Thanks a million.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know the significance of level 1 and 2 etc... but that sounds to me like maybe someone who has played for a few minutes.

personally, i would be more intrested in how many actually play the game often, not how many have played the game at some point. a player who doesnt intend to ever return to your website offers little to no value to you.

i dont know your plans for this database, but consider how much money you can make off of it in a reasonable amount of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The database is definately worth keeping. I havea similar game to you and it has taken me 8 months to reach the 1000 users mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replys.

--clamcrusher-- let me explain the levels things a little more. when a player first signs up, he has level 1. now from my "little" experience playing that game, moving from level 1 to level 2 would be equivalent to spending 10-15 hours of playing and I guess the same would apply for subsequent levels, eventhough it could be slightly easier to level up if you are at higher levels than if you are in the lower one.
    So having that in mind, I chose to exclude all players who are at level 1 beacuse to me that would be equivalent to someone who is just is not active enough or someone who just signed to try the game, didn't like it and then left. Now, I assumed that anybody who is at least at level 2, has spent no less than 10-15 hours playing and that there is a chance he/she might have like the game enough to stick around some more. I am not sure whether that's a safe assumption to make.

--TacMaf-- I am not sure if you missunderstood my point , but the DB I am talking about is not mine, the game's owner offered to sell it and asked me for a price. Since I am not familiar with how much time or money one would have to spend in advertising and promotion, I am hoping the sitepoint community could help me out with a decent estimate and provide me with some advice on what to look for and what to watch out for as well.

thanks again

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I assumed that anybody who is at least at level 2, has spent no less than 10-15 hours playing and that there is a chance he/she might have like the game enough to stick around some more
    1) 15 hours??? if the game's that good they ain't gunna stop there

2) If the players are THAT addicted then they will definatly mind if you dont get the database.

I would say the database, considering the amount of records, would be about $150 (but hey, im british)
    Last edited by r937; Oct 9, 2006 at 14:00.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any other suggestions gys?
    I'd like to know how much this DB would be worth and if it's worth the investement. if so, I'd like to get it before somebody else does.