SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Good anime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good anime?

I'm reliving my childhood here. First posting about Gundam models and now asking about good anime.

I know that there are quite a few people here who like anime so help me out. I want the best stuff. Post any and all movies that you think are good. I'm used to stuff like Battle of the Planets, Robotech, Star Blazers, Voltron. You know...all of the "americanized" stuff.

Hook me up.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't actually watch it, but some of my friends watch Dragonball Z, it's apparently quite good. Anime / manga / whatever doesn't really appeal to me though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about "Blue Submarine #6"(I think), and "Akira"...

Years and years ago, UPN played a series called "Teknoman", that was my first introduction to anime. I thoroughly(sp?) enjoyed it. If anyone knows if those particular episodes can be purchased, I'd greatly appreciate a link/tele...

Gundam Wing (the best, of course )
    Gundam 0080 (not sure about this one)
    Mobile Suit Gundam (not impressed at all)
    08th Mobile Suit Team (pretty good, recommend)

DBZ depends on the time period...
    young Goku: kind of strange, moderately ok...
    Goku adult, Gohan child: best i've seen
    Goku dead, Gohan teenager: fairly silly/childish(some were really bad)

The newer Transformer series' seem ok, if you're into that kind of thing... I was an original US series fan(many years ago). They have their good points...

Try this link, to at least get you some other names, and quick peeks at storylines/art types... http://www.anipike.com
    Andrew Thompson
    VPHost.com, part of the Untapped Resources Network.

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my list of sweet anime in order of "awesomeness":

1) Princess Mononoke <--you will love this one creole!
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/mononokehime.shtml
    2) Ghost in the Shell
    3) Ninja Scroll
    4) Battle Angel
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/battleangel.shtml
    5) Perfect Blue
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/perfectblue.shtml
    6) Devil Man
    http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/devilman.shtml
    7) Blood
    Last edited by guysmy; Dec 14, 2001 at 21:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Battle Angel on DVD. A rare piece and a very good one. The Cowboy Bebop series is supposed to be the bomb.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

h

i like drawing animi stuff

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this while browsing vbbulletinsites. Check out the AnimeGathering forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't like anime!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a post about Cowboy Bebop here

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive seen ghost in the shell - apparently widely regarded as one of the best anime films..didnt really like it much.

I have a dvd of dominion tank police that came free with a PS2 mag..entertaining, but nothing great.

I guess im just not cut out for anime watching, altho I was flicking channels about a week ago to the scifi channel (saturday at midnight is anime time), and some poor girl was getting sodomized by this huge scary lookin guy, that was...interesting!
    Last edited by steb; Jan 4, 2002 at 21:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been an anime fan for about five years now. It all depends on what you're into. As a girl I like the shoujo (girls) series, especially maho shoujo (magical girls), but I also enjoy other genres too. Here's my recommendations:

If you have broadband, you might want to check out the digi-fansubs. These are fan-translated anime titles that have not been commercially released in the U.S. yet. One of the best fansubbers is BakaMX, and all their stuff is in Divx. I think their site is anime-nakama.com

FANSUBS
    1. Fruits Basket (this is my current favorite!) (comedy/drama/romance)
    When Toru Honda was a little girl, one of her favorite stories was the origin of the Chinese zodiac. If you don't know, there are 12 animals on the zodiac, and the cat is missing among them, the reason being that the day the animals were to be chosen there was to be a celebration. Well, the rat told the cat that the celebration was to be the next day. After hearing that Toru felt so sorry for the cat that she was determined to be a cat, even though she was born in the year of the Dog.

After her mother's death, Toru goes to live in a tent because she didn't want to be a burden to anyone. One day on her way to school she passes the Souma house. The Soumas are wealthy, and it turns out tha Toru is camping in their backyard. She gets to walk to school with Yuki Souma, a purple-haired bishounen who everyone thinks is nice and kind but refuses to go out with anyone.

We find out why when something happens and Toru ends up living at the Souma house. Not long after she discovers that whenever a member of the opposite sex hugs a Souma, they get turned into one of the animals in the zodiac.

2. Noir (drama)
    A girl with no memory of the past but possesses the skills of an assassin. She goes to a contract killer to find out who she is.

3. Cowboy Bebop Movie (drama/comedy)
    It'll be a while before this is released commercially, despite Bebop's popularity in the States. Taking place between episodes 22-23, it involves bioterrorism, a couple of explosions, and our favorite Bebop cast. Although I enjoyed it, it hit a little close to home. There's even a skyline that looks like NYC before 9/11...quite eerie, if you ask me.

4. Kodomo no Omocha (comedy)
    Another one of my favorites, it's about a girl named Sana Kurata who's a TV actress trying to balance school, homelife, and her job. Seriously one of the FUNNIEST shows I have ever seen. Period.

COMMERCIAL ANIME
    1. Cowboby Bebop (comedy/drama)
    The year is 2071, and cowboys (bounty hunters) roam the star system, searching for justice, money, and jazz

2. Serial Experiments Lain (sci-fi)
    Present day, present time... After a girl commits suicide, Lain receives e-mail from the dead girl, saying that she didn't die but crossed over to the other side (the other side being the Wired, aka Internet). A very odd series with lots of computer (Apple, wireless networking, programming) references.

3. Trigun (comedy/drama)
    A Western version of Cowboy Bebop, taking place in a desert planet. Everyone is after Vash the Stampede's head, dead or alive. After all, who wouldn't want that $$60 billion dollar bounty? Called the "Humanoid Typhoon", there have been over 300 Vash the Stampede-related incidents, yet no fatalities. Just who is Vash, anyway?

4. Special Combat Duty Shinesmen (comedy)
    This is only an hour long, but it holds a special place in my heart. It's a parody of all those Power Ranger shows, only in the business world. The Shinesmen are a team of superheroes off to protect the world, only they have some lame colors. Who wants to be named Shinesmen Salmon Pink? Shinesmen Sepia, anyone? The English dub is more hilarious than the original Japanese.

There are many more but this post is long enough as it is!
    My mom thinks I'm cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Ghost in the Shell, the animation in it is quality, especially during the shootout with the yellow tank.

I also like both of the Patlabor films.
    Drinky