SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What is the best javascript editor?

Hi everyone,
    I just recently go into javascript, as I want to add ajax features to my site. I use Macromedia Dreamweaver for creating html and Zend Studio for creating php, but now I don't know what editor I should use for creating javascript. As I'm new to this world, I don't know if there's some superior IDE to javascript as Zend is to PHP? If there is, please tell me, or at least tell me the editor you're using. I would be very grateful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I use eclipse with the JSEclipse plugin. But that might be a bit overwhelming if you haven't used eclipse before.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went to the site and I think I'll give it a try. Thank you Pepejeria, it's really helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JSEclipse is just a plugin. You need to have eclipse installed first.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, although for me it's a bit heavy (latest version 120mb) for the use of just a plugin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aptana is an excellent Javascript IDE (also very good for HTML and CSS). Cross-platform too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, maybe Aptana is better for you. I second that.

And VnVision, if you worry about harddisk space, then I will have to recommend you Notepad. It is pre-installed on your system and doesn't use many resources

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepad sounds like a good solution, the only problem is that you're gonna spend more time writing code and scratching your head looking for errors. Thanks for the recommendation Pepejeria lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if space is an issue, install Linux and get QuantaPlus. It's great with PHP, too. Heck, you can run Ubuntu as a live-CD and not even use any disk space. Puppy can be run just off the CD and, if the CD is properly prepared, store the sessions to it as well. (Ubuntu allows a similar arrangement with a USB drive, or such, look for info on Caspar Cow).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh thanks man but actually I have no problems with disk space. I just don't like it when having to install new stuff on my Windows (already running dozens of user's programs). Programs usually put scrap in some places even after removing them you know.
    Anyway I got Eclipse set up and Aptana running as a pluggin (and luckily Eclipse does not require running an installation). Having some problems when creating or opening files though, sometimes the program just exit without any notification. I guess that's a problem with JRE. Besides this problem, that's a good IDE.