SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Side menus

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you have all seen the effect for sure. I need to know how it is accomplished. The effect is a side menu that appears on the left hand side of a web page inside of a colored column. I've asked my instructor and she told me to use a tile efect alligned left and to place a table on top or in it. However when visiting certain web pages i've noticed in their source that they use a table alligned left and a attribute to make the background of the table a different color. which is the best way to accomplish this effect? or is there a better way of doing it? I have one more question regarding link icons or buttons. How do ou make a link come alive or pop out when the cursor is placed above it? Thanks for the help.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to make the background of a table a different color you just need to make sure the background color of <tr> <td> and <table> elements are the same e.g.:

<table style="background-color: #0000FF;" width="120px">
    <tr style="background-color: #0000FF;">
    <td style="background-color: #0000FF;">

should do it for you, of course that will give you a pure blue background.

hope this helps you.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not only will it give you a pure blue background on that area only, but it is code and not an image, so it will not as long to download.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United - protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.
    New Life Community Church - Your Christian online community

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for making your links "pop up" when the mouse is over them, there are two different methods for doing this, depending on whether you make your links with text or images.

Changing the look of a text link when the mouse is over it is not directly supported by Netscape 4.x, so be careful. Quick instructions on how to accomplish this effect are provided in the Code in Style article at WebMasterBase.com.

Image links that change appearance when the mouse is over them are generally referred-to as "mouseovers". My <A HREF="http://www.sausage.com/island/tutorials/mouseover/mouseover.shtml"" TARGET=_blank>article at Sausage Island</A> covers these in detail.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!