Thread: an ebay issue

SitePoint Enthusiast UnderTheGun's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an ebay issue

Hey guys,
    I setup a small domain & site to sell on ebay. Just trying to raise my feedback and make a couple bucks. So I listed it for 5 days, put up all the information needed, and let that be that.

Most of the time, I buy Featured Item to help boost sales. But I already sold one domain+site and it went for $50 so I though "hey what the hell!" and just listed it in the hopes that it would sell nearly as well.

So I checked it today, because it ended today. And it sold for $1.25 ... yes, that's right $1.25!!!

Cost of domain = $7.98
    Cost of script = $35 (with resell rights, Ive kinda gotten my money back on this one already)

Is there anything I can do to not let this user have it? Im sorry if that makes me sound like a horrible person but I'm taking a pretty hard loss here.
    "through the coolest haze of this dreamlike maze...."

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

I think the proper thing to do is let it go for what they agreed to pay. Count it as a learning experience and next time, make sure to set the start price at the minimum you are willing to let an auction go for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you specified a reserve fee when you created the auction, then you are well within your rights to refuse sale if the final bid is lower than the reserve fee.

If you didn't specify a reserve fee, there is nothing you can do but provide the promised product, AFAIK.

Lesson learnt, I guess. Using a reserve fee in future should prevent these type of problems.
    Regards,
    Jamie Harrop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you guys are totally right, I know.

I never do reserves because Ive notice that I don't get nearly as many bids or looks when I do. But maybe I can put "LOW RESERVE" in the title or description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, why did you start off the auction so low if you knew what you wanted to sell it for? I'm guessing you started it at a penny...

I agree reserve fees dissaude people from bidding (they do for me at any rate) but if you have a price in mind, start the auction at the lowest possible price you're willing to sell it for. If you're aiming to get feedback quick and fast, maybe even price and sell it lower than what you can afford. You'll be making a loss until you get around a feedback rating of 75+, but from then on you'll see people trust you and your auctions a LOT more.

If you're just starting out on eBay, I would definitely complete the transition. Get a bad rep now and it'll be hard to sell in the future.
    Photoshop Tutorials, Freebies, News, and more!
    www.mintyferret.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have entered into a legally binding contract with the buyer, so if you refuse to carry through the transaction, you are both endangering your eBay score and potentially setting yourself up for a lawsuit (admitted, it's unlikely at that price range).

Make the transaction, and with a bit of luck, the buyer will have a good experience, and will come back to buy more later.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I agree with both of you and I have already begang to transfer everything to him. While I do have a bit of a price in mind, I never expect much. But I almost always get what I have in mind........I especially didn't expect $1.25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheGun
    yeah I agree with both of you and I have already begang to transfer everything to him. While I do have a bit of a price in mind, I never expect much. But I almost always get what I have in mind........I especially didn't expect $1.25
    Just keep in mind there are hundreds of people potentially selling the same product as you are. Your auction could get lost in the sea of them. Do you have a tracking system on your auction? How many people actually see it? If you're not getting many targetted views, perhaps there's something wrong, not with your auction, but with the auction title/search terms, etc. Try adjusting them for more exposure.

At any rate, glad you're completing the transition. I haven't been burned yet by an eBay seller, but I know all hell will break loose if someone refused to sell me something if I won the auction at a good price.
    Photoshop Tutorials, Freebies, News, and more!
    www.mintyferret.com