SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allowing visitors to write to a file.

I'm not a web programmer. I'll get that off of my chest right now. However, I have been working with CSS and XHTML for some time now and know a thing or two.

But what I don't know (and desperately need) is how to create a site where users can write directly to a file. The best example I can give of what I'm looking for is a blog commenting system. Is there any way to create a system like this using XHTML and server writing privilages? If not what would you recommend? Are there any examples of this type of thing on the web you know of?

Thanks ahead of time to those who take the time to look at this, and those who reply.
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to use server side languages(php, asp, jsp) then you would have to use javascript. But xhtml can't write to files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response cmuench!
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TannerC
    I'm not a web programmer. I'll get that off of my chest right now. However, I have been working with CSS and XHTML for some time now and know a thing or two.

But what I don't know (and desperately need) is how to create a site where users can write directly to a file. The best example I can give of what I'm looking for is a blog commenting system. Is there any way to create a system like this using XHTML and server writing privilages? If not what would you recommend? Are there any examples of this type of thing on the web you know of?

Thanks ahead of time to those who take the time to look at this, and those who reply.
    Probably the easiest and most practical choice would be to use PHP/MySQL. It is really not that involved - I am sure you can work through it.

Here is a slick script to get you started:
    http://www.digitalmidget.com/php_noob/comment.php

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread tanner, I'm looking for something similar

I recently set up a soccer website and need to have a page where 4 different coaches can post messages / comments in the managers comments section.
    I think I'll need to have some sort of login procedure just for the 4 people.

Can anyone please explain how I can do this ?
    p.s, I know nothing about coding or writing scripts.
    I'm using DW8 with plenty of bald patches appearing where I've been scratching my head
    I can copy and paste a completed script into the code...just about !! after that..I'm lost !!
    I'd be grateful If someone could explain in dumb-fekker terms please !

Tom

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

You should check out hotscripts.com. You could consider a messageboard, or a shoutbox, or another similar script. If you don't know PHP/mySQL, making that sort of system would be difficult, and you're best off getting a pre-made script and installing it.