SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Layer in table Cell... Need advice/help bad!

Okay, I've tried to read every post relating to my question; not much help though

Here it is:

I have a layer inside a table cell so I can have different html.src pages load into it. I got to it position correctly, but it also prints the same content of the layer into another portion of another table, overwriting the table completly...just displays the content of the layer in it!

Of course, this is for suckie Netscape; everything works fine in IE with an iframe.

I've included some* code with with a headings so you'll know where the questions are.
    Thanks for any help

<!-- THIS TD TAGE IS WITHIN A TABLE -->
    <td width="301" valign="top">

<table>
    <tr>
    <td valign="top" width="301" height="116">

<!-- THE LAYER THAT IS IN QUESTION -->
    <layer name="textLayer" src="intro.html" left="349" top="74" width="301" height="116"></layer>

<!--IFRAME for IE-->
    <div id="textdiv">
    <iframe src="intro.html"></iframe>
    </div>

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</td>
    <td></td>
    <td></td>
    </table>

<!-- ANOTHER TABLE -->
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td height="30">&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">
    <tr>
    <td>

<!-- THE CONTENT THAT GETS OVERWRITTEN -->
    <table width="425">
    <tr>
    <td bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

CONTENT GOES HERE
    "If it's taking up my time, then it must be good!" -Rocko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to see the page to understand what you are trying to do. I've never really used the <layer> tag before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently do not have the site uploaded or anything. However, I did fix the problem. It seems that you can NOT have a layer inside a table nested in another, at least that's the case for Netscape.

Opera is not compling with the layer though. Well, 2 out of three is not that bad; you fix one problem and it shows in another place LOL! Unless Opera has it's own version of the iframe/layer, I'm opting for just IE and Netscape. Thanks and I'll let you know when the site is uploaded so you can see the results. Will be soon...

// -->Rocku
    "If it's taking up my time, then it must be good!" -Rocko

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Rocko
    I currently do not have the site uploaded or anything. However, I did fix the problem. It seems that you can NOT have a layer inside a table nested in another, at least that's the case for Netscape.

Opera is not compling with the layer though. Well, 2 out of three is not that bad; you fix one problem and it shows in another place LOL! Unless Opera has it's own version of the iframe/layer, I'm opting for just IE and Netscape. Thanks and I'll let you know when the site is uploaded so you can see the results. Will be soon...

// -->Rocku
    Opera should work with DIV...Layer should only work with NN4.7 considering it is a browser specific tag.

Having never really worked with Layer I would think that it may not be as flexible in controlling where it 'sits' on the page as DIV. It sounds like a problem with the position option. You probably have position:relative as a CSS which works great in IE but isn't supported by the layer tag.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.