SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Javascript used anymore?

Forgive me for this question. But is JavaScript used that much anymore? I'm looking through the JavaScript samples at W3 (I haven't viewed them all yet), and they seem so primitive.

Of course, I usually work in Flash, so I come from a different background.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript is used a lot for client-side validation and general enhancements. It should be avoided as a single-option response (i.e. the page won't work without Javascript being on) but can offer lots of nice extras to add to a site's appeal.

"Unobtrusive" Javascript is the thing to go for.

Stuff like:

http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/
    http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
    And the JS on http://bonrouge.com/br.php?page=home
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the hottest technologies on the web is Ajax, the driving force of Web 2.0. It is completely dependent on JavaScript at the client end. Even Adobe has gone to great lengths to promote the integration of Flash technologies with Ajax, to avoid being marginalized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JavaScript has never been so used as today. We are seeing more and more fat clients that use JavaScript heavily. Several JavaScript frameworks have been born and JavaScript book sales have went up 121%.

And now with JavaScript 2.0 coming up, it cant get any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean, someone is still using Flash? I thought SVG made that obsolete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes JVLB, haven't you seen all those annoying banners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can test it really easily for yourself, just disable javascript in your browser. And leave it like that for the rest of the day while your browsing. Soon enough you will find that there are more then enough sites that either stopped working completely or lost some of there functions.
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijmen
    You can test it really easily for yourself, just disable javascript in your browser. And leave it like that for the rest of the day while your browsing. Soon enough you will find that there are more then enough sites that either stopped working completely or lost some of there functions.

Good point!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are lotas of badly designed sites out there as performing the test suggested above shows. The people whose sites are broken when you disable Javascript are those where the author has forgotten or never knew the first rule for developing web pages that include Javascript.

RULE ONE: Javascript should be used to enhance your web page and make it easier for your visitors to use. It should never be used to provide functionality that is not also available (perhaps via a longer process) when javascript is disabled.

If your page is broken with Javascript disabled then you designed it wrong. If your page works with Javascript disabled and works better when Javascript is enabled then you designed the Javascript functionality correctly.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly use javascript than server side scripting. Simply just because i got project on client side scripting. ofcourse anyone can disable javascript in their browser but what if a user don't have flash player and don't want to download?
    Kirtan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rajimpress
    . . . but what if a user don't have flash player and don't want to download?
    Point well taken. Almost all major browsers support JavaScript (I'm not sure about Dillo[actually, I'm lying, I do know Dillo, or say, Lynx do not support JS]), but Flash isn't even kept up-to-date for Linux, which is now on substantially more desktops that Apple's OS-whatever.

As I was saying about SVG . . .

(Oh, and I mean no disrespect to Dillo or Lynx, which are both quite fine browsers, but not exactly standards compliant for the 21st Century.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    There are lotas of badly designed sites out there as performing the test suggested above shows. The people whose sites are broken when you disable Javascript are those where the author has forgotten or never knew the first rule for developing web pages that include Javascript.

RULE ONE: Javascript should be used to enhance your web page and make it easier for your visitors to use. It should never be used to provide functionality that is not also available (perhaps via a longer process) when javascript is disabled.

If your page is broken with Javascript disabled then you designed it wrong. If your page works with Javascript disabled and works better when Javascript is enabled then you designed the Javascript functionality correctly.
    If I'm correct Google Maps and yellowpages.com doesn't work without javascript, at all.

YELLOWPAGES.COM's default maps require your browser to be javascript-enabled.

Your web browser is not fully supported by Google Maps. More information »

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felgall's point, however, is still well taken. Mapping features are really ad-ons, not the essential functions of Google or YP.

When desigining for accessibility, it is requisite to provide lowest-common-denominator functionality. The browsers for disabled folks rarely support fancy DHTML and it can render pages unusable.